Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this question up on a couple of boards, then I remembered my membership here!

I just bought a 68 that has stock suspension and steering. I'm going to go with stock style suspension, except change to a coil-over shock/spring combo. Steering is my issue though. I would like to change over to a rack and pinion from flaming river. What kind of clearance issues am I going to face with putting the LSx in there? Anyone done this? I've seen other swaps using the stock-style steering with header and pan clearance issues. I just don't want to spend the $$$ and time on swapping to rack and pinion only to have the LSx not fit in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'm guessing I have to use their adapter plates also.

Which R&P is that? The 71-72 pinto?

How bad did you have to cut up your floor to get the T-56 in there?

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Thanks.

I'm guessing I have to use their adapter plates also.

Which R&P is that? The 71-72 pinto?

How bad did you have to cut up your floor to get the T-56 in there?
Adapter plates - use whoever you want. It is generally a good idea to keep with the same brand for everything and buy as a "kit".

The R&P is a Unisteer kit.

The T-56 slides right into a 3rd gen Nova, with some minor "clearancing". :devil: :D

FYI - this pic is of a 69 Camaro. The front clip is the same between a Camaro and a Nova, however. The pic was used for illustration purposes.

Of course, if you are hellbent on using a Flaming River Mushtang II type R&P, CALL THEM FIRST BEFORE BUYING. :yes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adapter plates - use whoever you want. It is generally a good idea to keep with the same brand for everything and buy as a "kit".

The R&P is a Unisteer kit.

The T-56 slides right into a 3rd gen Nova, with some minor "clearancing". :devil: :D

FYI - this pic is of a 69 Camaro. The front clip is the same between a Camaro and a Nova, however. The pic was used for illustration purposes.

Of course, if you are hellbent on using a Flaming River Mushtang II type R&P, CALL THEM FIRST BEFORE BUYING. :yes:
Yeah, they weren't too helpful by saying "we haven't had anyone try that yet." So I'll check out unisteer.

I think I'll stick with a 4L60E or 4L80E.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like my 4L60E with the LT1. Just slap it in gear and gooooo! :cool:

One day I may go to a manual trans, but the automatic is so nice for cruising and stop & go traffic.
Yeah, and I don't feel like messing with the installation of the hydraulic system.

So, Autokraft mounts and pan. Unisteer 600 with R&P.

Do you think the power setup would interfere with headers? I'd like to retain the LSx's power steering.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The power setup shouldn't affect the headers. There are companies that make headers for a LS conversion. I'm putting a L92 into my car and am using a Unisteer R&P. I'm also using the Speed Tech subframe for mine, but I'm not sure if it really gives more room for the swap. I already have the Autokraft oil pan, very nice and well worth the money. It's $400. Their adapters plates include new motor mounts and go for $175. Here's their site: http://autokraft.org/ You would also want to consider getting a Unisteer power rack shaft kit. It comes with 3 u-joints to allow you to run the column around the headers. With my swap, I'll be using the Speed Tech/Stainless Works headers that are built for the Speed Tech subframe, but will also work in stock subframes. They are $950 for stainless or $1400 for polished. Not bad price when you start comparing to others like DSE who want $2400 or something like that. Here's a link to the headers and the steering shaft kit: http://www.speedtech-performance.co...egory_id=230/home_id=230/mode=prod/prd183.htm

http://www.speedtech-performance.co...tegory_id=193/home_id=193/mode=prod/prd82.htm

As for the automatic to manual swap, there's really not much to the hydraulic clutch set up. From what I've been told and read, the LS7 style clutch is that one to go with. Apparently very nice pedal for daily driving. Keisler makes a hydraulic clutch master kit that bolts up to the existing holes on the firewall so no welding or modifying the firewall. I'll be using both on my build. I have a bunch of pics in my build thread if you want to see. I just got the L92 a couple weeks ago so am just staring the swap. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mike, that's a big help.

Still interested to know how much "massaging" is necessary to have clearance for the T56.

I have the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in my 2000 Camaro SS. I also opted for the Tick Performance adjustable master cylinder and speed bleeder. Combine that with an MGW shifter, and I have an awesome feeling system in my car that is daily driven.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Just stay away from BRP hotrods stuff if you run a long sumped pan, like the Autokraft and the F body pan, thos will not clear the rack, unless you run a LH8 pan, but that hangs way to low.

The Autokraft pan has been designed to clear a few options in steering, it has extra notches for factory style tie rods.

As far as minor massaging of the floor pan it can be done, if you stab in the motor and trans together, but if you have to muscle up the trans you need a staright shot into the motor, having a cut up tunnel helps with this install, then patching it with a raised piece of sheetmetal. IMHO this will help with future clutch changes.

Installing my TKO600 has been the best thing I could do for my car, My complete kit from Classic motorsports group has gone very smooth, All the parts are there for the install, I think if I had to miss match parts I would be changing my tune. Running an automatic with overdrive that needs a computer to control it and that isnt really built for more than 400hp, unless you spend big money, was not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a link for classic motorsports?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I'll try to read it this weekend.

I looked at the Keisler kit too. Would you recommend the Classic kit over Keisler's?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Im not going to say that, Ive heard good things about Keisler and I had good experience with Classic, My own personal reason why I chose Classic over Keisler was because of a Viper I was working on, both did not have the answer but one actually called me back with the answers...

but like I said both are good companies

1 - 16 of 16 Posts