Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked a a 70 yesterday with a LSX 6.0 install started. My first Nova, but I've been a Chevy guy for almost 50 years now. Kind of a "Nova newbie" you would say.

6.0 engine is in and running, but there is a lot of loose ends to be taken care of.

One loose end in that the shorty headers he has on it will not clear the steering box by a long ways. I've been reading as much as I can here but other than a rack and pinion kit I didn't see where anyone has found headers that will work.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem short of going to rack and pinion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
headers-70 Nova

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed a 454 and can't find a header that will fit. Have tried Floteck block huggers,I have tried Headman shorties they don't clear power steering or manual steering. I live in B.C. hard to order and return them without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a set of Hedman HED68710 and they didn't even come close to clearing the steering box.

But I go online to summit and there is a pic of a set with an LS that clear. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the motor mounts from ICS.

The way it sits in the frame now the right side motor mount bolt doesn't line up with the frame mount.

I'm thinking about machining up a mount that looks like the second pic, but the through hole is down lower. I'll mill it out of a solid block. Hopefully that will give me the adjustment I need to get the left header to clear.

Pic on Summit site

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Are you certain that the frame stands are on the correct side of the chassis? Another member here had a clearance problem and it turned out the he had the driver side and passenger side frame stands installed the opposite of how they should have been. I believe that he had a big block in a 70 Nova. The driver side mount should be taller and offsets the engine towards the passenger side.. with the stands in the wrong sides it puts the engine lower in the chassis and more towards the driver side.. Thus creating clearance issues with the oil pan to crossmember and steering box to headers..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No I am not certain. I bought the car a week ago today and don't really have any idea what the PO did when he dropped the engine in.

I've found so many things he did that are not good. Yesterday I pulled the front sheet metal off and found that someone welded the bottom of the back of the fenders to the car. Looks like some minor damage and instead of doing a little work on the fenders they just welded them. A few minutes with my cutoff tool got them off.

I'm thinking about machining up a set of frame mounts I can bolt onto the sub frame. That gives me room to move the engine around to where I need it to be.
Today I hope to get the sub frame off. That will make it easier to work on. I'm also planning on making up a set of mounts so my alternator will be on the right side mounted low, and will use a GM type 2 power steering pump on the left.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No I am not certain. I bought the car a week ago today and don't really have any idea what the PO did when he dropped the engine in.

I've found so many things he did that are not good. Yesterday I pulled the front sheet metal off and found that someone welded the bottom of the back of the fenders to the car. Looks like some minor damage and instead of doing a little work on the fenders they just welded them. A few minutes with my cutoff tool got them off.

I'm thinking about machining up a set of frame mounts I can bolt onto the sub frame. That gives me room to move the engine around to where I need it to be.
Today I hope to get the sub frame off. That will make it easier to work on. I'm also planning on making up a set of mounts so my alternator will be on the right side mounted low, and will use a GM type 2 power steering pump on the left.
I picked a a 70 yesterday with a LSX 6.0 install started. My first Nova, but I've been a Chevy guy for almost 50 years now. Kind of a "Nova newbie" you would say.

6.0 engine is in and running, but there is a lot of loose ends to be taken care of.

One loose end in that the shorty headers he has on it will not clear the steering box by a long ways. I've been reading as much as I can here but other than a rack and pinion kit I didn't see where anyone has found headers that will work.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem short of going to rack and pinion?
I bought a set for my 69 camaro years ago which is the same as a 73 Nova.I was thinking Summit maybe.ceramic coated and all.I had to do away with power steering though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts