Chevy Nova Forum banner

LSx engine install with 1966 stock frontend - require the stock crossmember removal?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bkw12345 
#1 ·
LSx engine install with 1966 stock frontend - require the stock crossmember removal?

I have a 1966 Chevy II with the stock front end and a CPP front subframe suspension kit with the sway bar. It used to have an I-6 engine and powerglide transmission. I now have an LSx engine and 4L60E transmission to install. I have an LS2 2004 GTO oil pan. I have the LSx engine seperated from the transmission for ease of motion.

I have been working by myself in the garage tonight and have not been able to lower the engine into place. It will get close but then the oil pan hits the black stock crossmember (see the red arrows in the picture below). It looks like the engine would need to slide back about 1 to 1 1/2 inches to clear this crossmember.

The CPP subframe suspension plate (light blue color) at the front end looks to provide rigidity and support and with the engine bolted to the motor mounts would help hold the front frame rails in place.

My ideas after tonight....

1. Is to remove the screws and drop the crossmember and swaybar till the engine is in?

2. Locate a 1 or 2 inch piece of metal stock and make a spacer to drop the crossmember lower to support the swaybar?

3. Or can \ should this crossmember and swaybar be removed altogether?

The crossmember looks to provide support for the CPP swaybar and the brake lines are mounted off the side towards the firewall. I can replace the brake lines if neceessary to re-route them out of the way.

I'm open to suggestions or ideas if you've worked through this issue please speak freely.....

Thanks for your time, Brad

Note: The rust in the picture below is surface rust. The car is in better condition than what this picture shows. I plan to detail and paint under hood before the engine install is finalized. I got a Nikon 12 Mega Pixel camera with auto-focus that catches small details (rust) very well...

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not beleive you need the black cross member after you install the mini sub kit . I think cpp says to remove as a step when installing their kit. I also think the silver crossmember in kit does the same thing as the black crossmember. The design on the cpp is to allow for better room and to tie core support and frame together for more strength . I would check instruction on kitand or call cpp to make sure . good luck :)

#3 · (Edited)
There is another alternative,the Churchboys Racing tubular cross member may solve you problem.If you remove the stock member you will not have a way to mount the stock style sway bar.If you go this route the CBR sway bar will work with the stock member removed.It also works fine with the CPP kit.You also have the option of rack and pinion if you decide you want to go that way.By the way what are you doing for headers??

#4 ·
I personally would not leave out the X-member. These little cars need all the support they can get on the stock front end. I did pull the X member out, trim it down and re-enforce it when I did my conversion to LSX.

Depending on what mounts you are using, that engine will clear the front X-member with no issues. You must however remove it to set the engine in place, as the pan will no swing past it as you have already seen. Once the engine is in place, put the X-member back.

Jack

#5 ·
Thanks to all for your suggestions

Thanks to all for your suggestions

I agree with BabyDeuce (Jack) and since you've already been there and done this install now I will take your advice. So tonight I will remove the crossmember while working the motor into place and reinstall it later.
:yes:

My plan all along has been to set the motor in place and then determine where I want to place the ecu, route the wiring, and figure out the headers, etc...

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.