Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting a 66 non post 2 door and would like to buy a used LS3 with manual trans out of a Camaro and I want to know if I will need to cut the transmission hump on the floor? I’ve read that if you put the 5 speed Tremec it will fit without any modifications but would would need to modify the hump if I wanted to install the 6 speed version. Is the Tremec and the stock Camaro one the same. Anyone else do this swap? Can you tell me what I would need to do?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got my LS3 and TR6060 six speed out of a 2010 camaro. The TR6060 shift location is positioned too far back to work. The cost to convert the tail shaft Was around 1500. I sold the TR6060 and bought a T56 which is basically the same Trans but with several shift location choices. The top of the tunnel will need to be raised about 2”.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Side by side comparison. Note shift location difference. Also the camaro trans uses a flange instead of u joint yolk.
8786CF08-1493-448B-B841-6F51609C0218.jpeg

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the info and the pic. You saved me a whole lot of time and money. I may have to do what you did or go with the Tremec 5 speed. Do you know if I would need to do any mods on the 5 speed?
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe the 500/600 will fit without tunnel mods but not positive. I liked the gear ratios and torque numbers of the T56 better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
the top transmission uses a roto-flex coupling/rubber disk...they crack with age and cause vibration...my land rover used a similar coupling at the rear end...I eventually removed it and put a normal yoke on it and bought a driveshaft to work with 2 greasable u joints eliminating the vibration...just so ya know that was a buick V8 engine that came from the factory max 190 hp and the power was split from front and rear 4wd all the time...it was my daily driver so I ran it on the front axle till I got it all installed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts