Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may know, I'm leaning towards doing a LS conversion in my 68 Acadian. I was going to get a motor from the states, but I found a place in Vancouver that has great prices on LS crate engines from GM. I've been looking at aftermarket parts for the engines and found that the LS2 has way more than the LS3. A few of the parts say they are for both. One thing I was looking at was a March pulley kit for it. The one kit says it will fit the LS1, 2 and 7, but not the LS3. I was also hoping to be able to use one of the Weind polished LS1 intake, but now I don't think it will fit.

What are the differences between the LS2 and LS3? Am I better off going with the LS2 for aftermarket parts? Which ever one I go with, I plan on putting in a new cam and some other performance mods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't know much at all about LS engines. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Doesnt the LS3 have variable valve timing or something complicated like that? I wish I could remember but something popped out at me that made it seem complicated to put in an older car. LS motors are awesome though. Are you going to go with carbed or fuel injected?

Does the LS3 have the L92 heads? Those are supposed to be some REALLY good heads, I was looking at building up an LS motor from the gm block and use those heads. Its getting just about as cheap to build a carbed LS motor as it is to build a regular smallblock (forged stuff)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Balancers are interchangeable between all the non-LS7 engines, but are dependant upon the model of accessory mounting being used (Corvette, Camaro, Truck, etc).

Intakes for the LS1, LS2, and LS6 cathedral port heads will not work with the LS3, L76, L92 rectangular port heads. The LS7 and C5R heads have their own individual port shapes and are incompatible, too.

The LS3 would be a good base to start with as it has an increased displacement and decent heads.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Balancers are interchangeable between all the non-LS7 engines, but are dependant upon the model of accessory mounting being used (Corvette, Camaro, Truck, etc).

Intakes for the LS1, LS2, and LS6 cathedral port heads will not work with the LS3, L76, L92 rectangular port heads. The LS7 and C5R heads have their own individual port shapes and are incompatible, too.

The LS3 would be a good base to start with as it has an increased displacement and decent heads.
LS# is a good base if you want to FI it!

John

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
heck,
i JUST started running 8 cylinders with the valves in the head and babbit bearing shells :rolleyes:and now you guys are talking about all this new-fangled stuff.........JEEPERS..... a guy just can't keep up with you fellers and all that fancy uptown parts selection...........:Dwhat's next? a carburator with multiple barrels?!?!?:mad:
leftcoast carl.

just funnin' boys........
sounds killer mike.keep us posted.i have great G.M. connections too if you need help.
lc carl.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I'm debating about whether I should go with the LS3 with hot cam, which puts it up to 480 hp or save the $500 and get the 430 hp version and get my own cam, with the goal of getting it over 500hp. I am planning on getting the fuel injected version.

Thanks Carl, when I'm ready to get the engine I may have to give you a call. The place I called yesterday was Eagle Ridge Pontiac in Coquitlam. They had some good prices there. Their price was less than both Summit and Jegs, and it was in Canadian dollars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts