Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get advice or a reccomendation on which cam I can run in a bone stock 6.0. I plan on running the same valve train gear so this might limit me to how big a cam I can install. I don't know what other information to provide to help with a reccomendation, other than everything is factory stock, 4L60E.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Will you consider some input from an "armchair quarterback"? I have an LS2 / 4L65E running in my Nova with the stock cam. The only mods I have are headers, free-flowing intake filter, and free flowing exhaust. So, I can't tell you about experience with aftermarket cams, but I can tell you about the stock cam and some research I've done into the aftermarket. Here are my thoughts:

First, I'm not sure if you're actually running the LS2 yet, or if this is a planned installation. If you're not up and running yet, then my first recommendation is to stick with the stock cam and see how you like it. I did all sorts of research on cams before I did my engine swap, then I found out after the car was running that I was absolutely happy with it in stock form. I have more power than is safe, and with my full Pypes exhaust (3 inches from the headers back) and Violator mufflers I get good mellow sound down low and a banshee screaming murder when I punch it.

With that said, for anyone to make a serious aftermarket recommendation, you'd have to tell us how the car is being used, what rear gear you have, why you want to change the cam, and do you care anything at all about fuel economy, at the least. Not knowing those things, I'll take some stabs in the dark...

If sound is a consideration, the right exhaust may give you just what you want with the stock cam.

You mention keeping the stock valve train. That's a big consideration for two reasons: 1) It will only handle so much lift, and I don't think there's a textbook answer as to how high you can go. My research says you might get away with .600 but you're taking a chance when you get in that range. 2) The stock valve train has some limitations with durability when you start adding performance. I've read horror stories of needle bearings exploding and winding up in the oil pan. The result is a destroyed engine.

You want to keep an eye on the cam lobe angle. Stock is somewhere around 116 or 117. The lower you go, the more hot rod sound you get, but you start paying the price in fuel economy. You can get good performance cams that keep the lobe angle around 115 or 116.

Here are some specific cams for you to research that offer better than stock performance, but stay in the safety range with economy and durability. I have not researched cams that get more into the radical territory:

Crane Cams HR-210/3241-2S-162A
Crane Cams HR-216/344-251-16
Crane Cams HR-216/3241-25-15
Comp Cams XFI RPM High Lift 54-424-11
Lingenfelter GT2-3

It's also my understanding that it doesn't really cost any more to get a custom grind. You can call up Crane or Comp and tell them the specifics for your setup, and they'll make a recommendation for an in-house came or a custom grind to meet your needs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts