Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a LS1 engine in boxes for my project. I am not new to engines but I am new to lS1 engine. One question I have is there was a new roller timing chain kit in the kit there are two metal plates one is triangle shaped with three holes one is just a short strap with a hole at each end. Where do these go?

Also the rods and pistons were not marked I know the notch goes forward my question is looking at the rods the locking tang on the rod bearings does this go outboard next to the pan rail or inboard as this drives what piston goes on the left and right banks to keep all the notches going forward would hate to get the pistions all facing the right direction but have the rods all wrong.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm guessing the triangle shaped piece is the camshaft retainer plate? Should match the three holes in the front of the block. Don't know about the other part.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
LS pistons and rods are all assembled in the same orientation. The bearing tangs go to the driver side, dots forward on all pistons.

Al

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The two small plates are the oil pump spacers to allow clearance for the timing chain. They go between the oil pump and the block.
Yep. The two plates are spacers for the oil pump to clear the extra thickness of the timing chain.

Depending upon which oil pump and timing chain cover you have, you may need to do some clearancing on the cover and pump bolts so that the cover will sit flush on the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing chain

Thank you now that makes since to me and I would have never figures rods all go drivers side. That makes it easy. the rods are still on the pistons I will double check and put notches forward.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts