Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a car I just finished Ls1 auto with stock front end. We made long tube headers to work with stock front end. And they say it cant be done!!!:yes::yes:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Very sweet,Do you have any pictures of them out? Are they completely home built or did you start with a production piece.Are you going to sell these??I have been considering an LS1 swap in a stock clip and have been waiting for a header solution.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Thats cool :yes: When im done with the wagon I want to put a ls1 in my wifes 65 & wanted to keep the stock front clip :yes:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Looks like they were fun to install. How'd you do it: lay the headers in the drop in the engine, or install from underneath with the engine already in it?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
parts and pieces

pan is 04 gto, the headers are ls flanges with long tube header kit, and misc tubes from a chevy II long tube header, to get them on you have to lift motor up and install from the bottom. They are 1 3/4. Car is a members car he will soon have it back doing burn outs I am sure.:yes::yes::thumbsup: He will have a complete thread of the car as soon as they(he or she I cant say I promised silence till he gets it back) get the car back. It came out really nice. It is the perfect car for the swap.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Stangs4sale,

Wow, what a nice job! Thanks for the thread, and I'm looking forward to the complete thread. What auto trans. did you use, a 4L80E? Did you have to modify the trans. tunnel?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trans

4l60e no mods needed to go with the auto only the 6 speed you need to clearance the tunnel. They wanted the car to appear stock so we kept the shifter on the column so at first glance with the hood shut you wouldnt expect an ls1 in this old girl. The car is my favorite one I have done so far (14 and counting with the ls swap) The dash on the underside was so clean it looked as if the car was put together yesterday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
4l60e no mods needed to go with the auto only the 6 speed you need to clearance the tunnel. They wanted the car to appear stock so we kept the shifter on the column so at first glance with the hood shut you wouldnt expect an ls1 in this old girl. The car is my favorite one I have done so far (14 and counting with the ls swap) The dash on the underside was so clean it looked as if the car was put together yesterday.
Any thoughts about selling the headers for a stock clip. I have looked for a solution for quite sometime for the LS in a stock front clip and I know there are a lot of others who have asked and are looking for these. Having headers could really tip the scales to switch over to the LS.

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
That is some very nice work. Guys you have to understand what it takes to mock something up and then make it work.

I do have a question since you plan to do some mass producing! If I myself was to make a set of LS headers I would have to make sure that they would clear the steering shaft for My CBR rack/pinion conversion, what do you say we compare some notes and figure this out?:yes:

...................Oh, I guess that would mean that I'm interested in a set.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Awesome! Would love to see a tech article on everything required to do the LS1 swap in a stock clip. No interference on the pitman arm with those headers?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fit like a glove

The headers clear pitman arm like they should. They are snug in 1 3/4 so the sets we are going to make are going to be 1 5/8(plenty good up to 750hp). Thanks for all the compliments.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've been considering this as well, but I really don't want to build headers. I'm in the middle of doing the Church Boy's conversion...lot's of room now!

Maybe you'll have something going by the time I'm ready for a motor...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Steering column to 4L60E transmission linkage?

They wanted the car to appear stock so we kept the shifter on the column.
Absolute Greatness. A true sleeper looking car...
:devil: :D

I'm in awe of your skill level. I'm still rebuilding the motor but want to setup mine just how you setup this car.

Can you provide any details to how you hooked up the original column shifter to the 4L60E transmission?

Did you use the Lokar shifter linkage or a kit from some other manufacturer?

Are the new headers positioned lower because of the trans linkage?

Any details would be most appreciated...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
linkage

Lokar column shifter works flawless. The headers are lowered about an inch for clearance.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts