Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been doing some research and was wondering if it was bettter to go LS1 or 3 or a LQ4? I'm wanting to make over 500 hp. From what I have read so far, is that for your money you can make 500 hp on a LQ4 fairly cheap. So far I have found a LQ4 for 1200 with full wiring and computer. The LS's are going for 2000 to 2500. So is it worth to pay the extra for the LS or will the LQ4 be better? I'm new to all of this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ok I've been doing some research and was wondering if it was bettter to go LS1 or 3 or a LQ4? I'm wanting to make over 500 hp. From what I have read so far, is that for your money you can make 500 hp on a LQ4 fairly cheap. So far I have found a LQ4 for 1200 with full wiring and computer. The LS's are going for 2000 to 2500. So is it worth to pay the extra for the LS or will the LQ4 be better? I'm new to all of this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
I am in the middle of my LQ4 build. I paid 1200 for the complete engine,wiring, Comp and 4l80e trans. The LQ4 is the same same as the LS2 just an iron block. I have read the same as you that the iron block is easier to make big HP for little money.

Good luck with your build

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
LQ4/9 is a great foundation for an LS build.LQ4 is a little down on compression but can be made up with a 243 head swap.LS3 has better flowing heads

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at the wrecking yard said there is 317 heads on the block and the block has 148k miles on it. Would this be worth it for 1200? How much do you think it would cost me just to rebuild and get the 500 plus Hp? I was also thinking of putting a supercharger on it. I have 7000 in my budget for a engine build.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Hard to say,mileage is a little high for the $$.317 heads are stock on LQ4/9 they flow very well but have large chambers.the LQ4 is a good candidate for boost due to the lower compression

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My next car will have LS base engine. Much cheaper. I would call more than 1 local yrad and see. 5.3 are cheaper and still make good power. Most yards are connected so finding and LS base engine is easier. search car-part and it will show what they have in the area.. My friend owns a yard so it wasn't to hard for me. He bought the GTO just for my swap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great. This is one of those things where I don't know how deep the water is as far as how bad this is going to hurt my wallet. The concept of have big hp, being able to control your motor, and decent gas mileage sounds awesome. I know nothing about programming the computer. Everyone is telling me it's easy to learn. So a lot of unknown there.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I did not have to rebuild mine as it had less than 30k on it.All fasteners on the LS series engines are one use only or replacement with ARP stuff and are pretty expencive.I did not realize your in California,prices here are higher than other states.Keep looking ther are deals to be had.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I'm in Modesto California. Ok so it would be better to find one with low miles compared to rebuilding one?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do the LQ4 with a 408 stroker kit bore the block 30 over then put a set of LS3 heads intake and a cam and it will be close to 600 hp at the crank I know I just did this in my 65 and all NA!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check out LS1 tech for more research. I had recently bought a LS1 outta a 99 camaro for $2500 w/ the tranny, harness and computer. And the motor has about 51K miles on it. From what i read on LS1 its pretty hard to get 500 HP NA with a LS1. And the LS1 can only be stroked to a 383. I kinda wish that i woulda went with the LQ4 or 9 but Im happy with the LS1. If I can get 425 or 450 that would still make one fast street car.

Someday I hope to make a turbo'd LS motor but my pockets arent that deep. :(

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
NO REAL COMMENT, JUS' LISTENING & LEARNING! FROM WHAT I KNOW THE LQ4/9 IS MORE VIABLE TO UPGRADES AND HP, I'M NEW TO THE SWAP AND ALL, BUT I'VE LEARNED QUITE A BIT JUS' PAYIN' ATTENTION! :yes:
ALSO I'VE SEEN SOME MAJOR DEALS ON LS MOTORS HERE LOCALLY IN SO CAL. EVERYTHING WITH TRANS FOR UNDER $2000, WITH LOW MILEAGE

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In my opinion, I'd stay away from the LS1. The LS3, LS2, and LQ4 and related engines are more closely related, newer, and easier to get power from. If you can afford an LS3 or LS2, then you're basically a cam/spring swap away from 500hp at the crank with stock EFI.

You can get the same power from the LQ4, but it may take a little more work on your part putting together the package. Then again, they are cheaper to start with and may cost less overall if you can do most of the work and scrounging for used parts yourself.

I doubt you'll get that thing supercharged within your budget unless you go with a carb and something like a ProCharger. EFI compatible superchargers are around $7k for the kit. I think you'll be happier in the long run with EFI. You can always save your money and do the EFI compatible supercharger later in life.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Streetable power is still about cubes. I've built a couple of LS1's and they run great. Small cam and AFR heads was about 475 at the rear wheels. Very streetable. 4L60E with 3200 stall.

I have a 6.2 L92/tko 600 in my 73 Camaro. Stock other than cam and springs. Did 420 at the rear wheels. Again small cam. That's about 490 at the crank. Consistent 21-22 mpg. Runs and drives like stocker untill you nail it. Traffic and 100 degree heat no problem.

Current motor in my 67 Nova is a RED sleeved LS2 with a 4L60E. Stroked to 427 cubes.
Did 460 hp at the rear wheels. Small cam. LS3 heads. Sounds a little low for a 427 but torque curve is awesome. I'm going to retune after a few miles to get some further break in. Bottom end is studded and main caps dowell pinned. Forged Manley rotating assembly. Purposely bulit mild on the top end for future mods.

I wouldn't build anything smaller than a 6.0. Stroker assemblies are getting very reasonable price wise. I know people have had good luck with 100K mile plus engines but I would only consider them for stroker kit with that high of mileage. Remember LS1 motors from the salvage yard are at least 10 years old already if they cam out of a camaro.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...The LQ4 is the same same as the LS2 just an iron block...
In my opinion, I'd stay away from the LS1. The LS3, LS2, and LQ4 and related engines are more closely related, newer, and easier to get power from...
The LQ4/LQ9 are much more closely related to the LS1 than the LS2 (and later) engines. The LQ4/LQ9 are essentially 6.0L, iron LS1s in regards to architecture. They share the same valley cover design, knock sensor locations, cam position sensors and locations, crank reluctor tooth counts, and timing covers. They are Gen III vs. Gen IV (LS2, LS3, newer).

From a "budget build" standpoint, the LS2 and LS3 engines are out the window. One would be better off considering one of the truck engines simply due to quantity and the fact they don't have the associated price hike stuck on them due to the "LS#" nameplate.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of this is very true,Some of the later LQ series have LS2 rods and oddly some of the LS2's (trailblazer) still use the early 24t crank.My 05 LQ4 has the LS2 rods,late style LS2 chain and coated piston skirts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are building there is no down side to a 24 toot reluctor on the crank.

The up side is if you are running a 4l60e the 24 tooth LS1 controller works for the trans. No need for a separate trans controller needed by a 58 tooth controller.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
He is currently looking at a New LS3 block,4.0 stroke steel crank,Manley rods and some ported LS3 heads found on Local CL.All parts are new.He is researching cost to finish it up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts