Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Guys was wondering if anyone had opinions on my motor choice here it is.
So for my 1974 nova I’m planning a street strip build I’ve always love big blocks and love the way that they look and sound planning on doing a bigger cubic inch big block(9.8 short deck) like a 555 or 565 orrr doing in Ls turbo build with a manual set up I want to be able to run in the nines and if I ever 8s that would be crazy but I also plan to drive the car a couple days a week and don’t want to be overkill for the streets I love the old-school big blocks but just want to make sure I ain’t missing anything in the Ls world. Honestly like big cam talk over turbos backfiring ha but I want to enjoy the car most I can. Also thinking options for the big block such as pro charger.. additionally this motor would have to run on pump gas no e85 around here and I don’t wana pay for race gas that often.

Car goals
9 sec 1/4
Drive it couple times a week
Be able to hit some country roads enjoy the turns not expecting a all out handling car but something that can take some corners?
Longevity motor
Possible manual would like to bang gears but never driven such high hp motor let alone manual haha any opinion?

Car specs
74 nova
Carpet and thermo Tec interior kirkey seats might put back seats one day..
Right now 12 bolt want to upgrade to 9 inch 370
T400 right now but thinking a manual with faceplates gears or auto option t400 built with gear vendor OD
Worn out 350 sbc in it right now from a 85 vette.

I’m open to any combo opinions any one has have a great day guys thanks for the help! Just wanting to hear from guys that may have made these decision before and how they feel

·
Registered
344 Posts
First of all, what's your budget, when do you want to complete this build, what's the actual end use going to be, and what is your current skill level with wrenching and fabricating?

If you want it to run low 9's and be streetable, on pump gas, and be reliable, and don't want to pay for race gas, but you want it to corner and be livable a few days a week, you're painted into a corner pretty quickly. Turbo LS is your best option in terms of "bang for your buck" and "reliability" for power, but that's one small piece of a very large puzzle.

You've done a lot of pointing out for how fast you want the car to be, but you're missing a lot of detail on suspension components, brakes, the backhalf of the drivetrain, and most importantly, your experience.

If you need to rely on a forum to point you in the right direction, I'm going to take a wild stab and say that you're fairly young and don't have a lot of wrenching or building experience yet. What you want may be well beyond your grasp at this point, but that's not to say you can't build up to it.

Everyone wants a fast car on the street, but you have to compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, what's your budget, when do you want to complete this build, what's the actual end use going to be, and what is your current skill level with wrenching and fabricating?

If you want it to run low 9's and be streetable, on pump gas, and be reliable, and don't want to pay for race gas, but you want it to corner and be livable a few days a week, you're painted into a corner pretty quickly. Turbo LS is your best option in terms of "bang for your buck" and "reliability" for power, but that's one small piece of a very large puzzle.

You've done a lot of pointing out for how fast you want the car to be, but you're missing a lot of detail on suspension components, brakes, the backhalf of the drivetrain, and most importantly, your experience.

If you need to rely on a forum to point you in the right direction, I'm going to take a wild stab and say that you're fairly young and don't have a lot of wrenching or building experience yet. What you want may be well beyond your grasp at this point, but that's not to say you can't build up to it.

Everyone wants a fast car on the street, but you have to compromise somewhere.
yeah i have had a few projects and been around wrenching for a set of years. I can weld decent with mig and tig just need to buy my own machine(welder) $$$$...anyways I've dealt top ends adjusted valves had a diesel truck project, just never built from the bottom up because cash. Now I've saved up for a few years in plans to start my first full project. budget is to take it as it comes no 30k engine builds or triple digits worth of money into project i would also rather do it right the first time. Plan on re doing front end near new everything and a rear solid axle with cal tracs maybe a 4 link...So anyways just trying to learn from experiences from other fellas...isnt that what a forums are for anyways?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts