Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be putting an LS5.3 into my '64 Chevy II. I'm interested in knowing which of the newer transmissions will bolt in without having to modify my tunnel at all. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine is a 70 and I went with a T56. I've seen a lot of posts on different sites when they had to completely cut the tunnel out and replace it.

The only cutting I've done is for the shifter. I am using a Hooker cross member which is a really nice pat and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 70 and I went with a T56. I've seen a lot of posts on different sites when they had to completely cut the tunnel out and replace it.

The only cutting I've done is for the shifter. I am using a Hooker cross member which is a really nice pat and well worth the money.
I've seen the same posts and I think most of them were 1st gens that they had to cut. Probably going to go with the 4L60. I'll just have to change the crossmember. I hear the T56 is a great tranny but I would prefer not to have to modify anything (every time I read T56 it reminds me of working on the C-130s when I was in the Air Force).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Granted there are a number of things to put a T56 in. Getting the hydraulic clutch set up, adding a clutch pedal, the special cross member, reinforcing the floor board. I have a T56 in my IROC and love it. I also do the cable drive speedometer drive mod for T56's and for 4L60E's where I add a cable drive to your stock tail housing.

You can see the 4L60E here conversion here.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Big difference in a third gen and a first or second. First and second gens are basically the same as far as swaps go. You will be cutting the floor for a t56 on a first/second gen. Many on this site have done 4L60 and 70E's with no cutting. I have a t56 my 63 wagon and I completely removed the original trans hump and formed a larger one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts