Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was able to fire up my new ls3 in my 1966 nova. To start it I added 5 gallons of fuel to the tanks inc tank. It has a in tank pump and pickup. It also has a fuel vent off the top that I have connected above the tank height. Since I have added the fuel it smells like I have a bad fuel leak but there is none. I capped my new fuel vent just to check if that was it and it was not. My fuel lines are all -6an braided fuel line made for fuel. I am using a Holley regulator/filter next to the tank. Has anyone else had an issue like this? It smells like fuel if it’s running or not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Check that you have a good seal on the rubber hose that connects the filler neck to the tank.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Possibly check to see if your "braided fuel line made for fuel" are actually made to avoid "vapor release."

I'm sure that LS3 will be fun!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly check to see if your "braided fuel line made for fuel" are actually made to avoid "vapor release."

I'm sure that LS3 will be fun!
This is the Fuel line I used

Summit Racing® Braided Nylon Hose SUM-240620B

On the fuel tank I used sealant on the gaskets for the pump and the pickup. Also used of on the rubber tube from the tank to the filler neck. I don't get where this is coming from. IDK about vapor release from a fuel line and summit doesn't say anything about it in their specs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On the fuel tank I used sealant on the gaskets for the pump and the pickup. Also used of on the rubber tube from the tank to the filler neck. I don't get where this is coming from. IDK about vapor release from a fuel line and summit doesn't say anything about it in their specs.
OK. I just Happen to read all the specs on the fuel hose right after I made the last post. I clicked on warnings under one of the tabs on summits website. see below what their warning says. I will be broke if that is the problem. Lesson Learned.!

In recent years various fuel manufactures may have added any number of new unpublished additives to their fuel blends. Due to this fact it is very difficult for hose manufacturers to know how the inner liner of their elastomeric tube compounds will react with a given fuel. Because of these unknowns we are unable to guarantee that the hoses we provide are the best possible products to use with any specific fuel. The most commonly reported issue being a fuel odor that permeates from the hose. If there is any doubt regarding the fuel you plan to run we recommend that you select a PTFE lined hose for your application.

·
Registered
887 Posts

On the fuel tank I used sealant on the gaskets for the pump and the pickup.
What kind of sealant did you use. If it's RTV you may have a problem. RTV should not come in contact fuel. Though they do make fuel resistant type which I still would not use in your situation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What kind of sealant did you use. If it's RTV you may have a problem. RTV should not come in contact fuel. Though they do make fuel resistant type which I still would not use in your situation.
I used Permatex aviation form a gasket on all seals and filler to the tank.

I'm about 99 percent sure its the AN fuel line causing the smell. After I googled it there are several folks that had the same problem. That was a mistake on my part. I guess I thought if someone is selling a hose for several types of fluids including fuel then it would be fine. Never would have thought about it releasing vapor. Oh well......

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
What do you have for a fuel vent? How is it finished off, filter, open to air or what?

I hear stories about the -AN line leaking fuel vapors all the time. I have run them on all my cars, and never had a fuel smell from vapors coming through a hose. While I'm sure it's possible, I'm skeptical that this is the root of a "fuel smell" problem....

T,

·
Registered
855 Posts
I still cope with fuel smells with my Rick's tank running PTFE line running a return style setup and a iiMuch fuel vent but only when I have the widows down, Roll them up and the smell is gone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently was able to fire up my new ls3 in my 1966 nova. To start it I added 5 gallons of fuel to the tanks inc tank. It has a in tank pump and pickup. It also has a fuel vent off the top that I have connected above the tank height. Since I have added the fuel it smells like I have a bad fuel leak but there is none. I capped my new fuel vent just to check if that was it and it was not. My fuel lines are all -6an braided fuel line made for fuel. I am using a Holley regulator/filter next to the tank. Has anyone else had an issue like this? It smells like fuel if it’s running or not.
had the same issue. a couple of things to check. the seals on the tank for the sending unit and pump have to be lined up just right. They will go together out of alignment (did that) double check those and make sure its not leaking there. I originally used the rollover vent they supplied up high at the filler tube, but still noticed a gasoline fume smell. Since installed the II Much fuel vent and now all is good. Can be found on summit. it's pricey but it works!

Hope you get it resolved

Dennis

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
had the same issue. a couple of things to check. the seals on the tank for the sending unit and pump have to be lined up just right. They will go together out of alignment (did that) double check those and make sure its not leaking there. I originally used the rollover vent they supplied up high at the filler tube, but still noticed a gasoline fume smell. Since installed the II Much fuel vent and now all is good. Can be found on summit. it's pricey but it works!

Hope you get it resolved

Dennis
I will drop the tank and check those areas to make sure.

For the fuel vent, I used the rollover vent supplied with the tank and the stock vent from the filler that ends inside the frame. I routed my new vent up next to the filler neck. the new vent has a scream and it is open to air. I plugged this vent to see if it would help but it did not. I did not try to plug the stock vent because it didn't have this problem before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the tanks inc. with internal fuel pump feeding my LS3. I used Russell pro classic fuel hose. Also used the supplied rollover vent. I’m not getting any fuel smell. There are 2 vents, one on the tank and another on the pump. You need to hook both of them up to vent to keep fuel from spitting all over you when you fill the tank up. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the tanks inc. with internal fuel pump feeding my LS3. I used Russell pro classic fuel hose. Also used the supplied rollover vent. I’m not getting any fuel smell. There are 2 vents, one on the tank and another on the pump. You need to hook both of them up to vent to keep fuel from spitting all over you when you fill the tank up. I found out the hard way.
My tank inc. tank only had the vent on the pump, non on the actual tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts