Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I don't know if this should be in this forum or the other motor/drivetrain forum, but it seemed the LS guys will probably hang out in both anyway.

I've read a lot about the whole LS engine craze going on from street rods to muscle cars and I have a few questions.

(EDIT) I'm looking to buy from a salvage yard, not new.

First, what LS series engine will get me the most stock displacement without stroking or boring?

Second along with question one, let's add aluminum block to the big ci question.

Third, wiring harnesses etc. If I build an LS engine it will more than likely end up carbureted because a tuned long air runner intake does not fit well with the gasser theme. Because I'm going to be dropping the complete injection system, I see no reason to deal with the ECM or the nasty wiring harness.

You cannot do that you say!

What if I installed a MSD front end trigger assembly and ran that as a standalone system? Now I have no fuel injection and no need for a conventional distributor so I do not need the ECM for anything, anything that I can think of that is.

All the sensors can be your garden variety gauge set sensors. I can run a conventional 140 gph Mallory or Holley electric fuel pump through a regulator and without a return line setup.

This seems to me to be a good alternative and I know the fuel injection and ignition system on the LS is spot on and works great, but I'm thinking I can OLD SCHOOL it and dumb it down a bit. I think it would be a good fit with the gasser theme.

So what have I missed?

What suggestions would you have to my plan?

ALL input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This..........ready to run.....

Big CI LSx Engine with a steel block

Next Biggest CI Engine with Aluminum block

MSD makes all you need to run a carb .....

T,
Tom, thank you very much for your quick response.

I left out one IMPORTANT bit of information in my original post, since edited.

I would like to be able to buy used through a salvage yard and I'm looking for the most suitable vehicle to source from to get the biggest inches and if possible the aluminum block.

I realize that Vette motors are probably the most obvious choice, but they are also going to bring a premium to ther cost.

Your comments on the MSD is what I was hoping to see. This along with an intake and carb get me away from the wiring harness. I know lots of guys have done this and there are plenty of kits and instruction manuals for the conversion to a non ECM car, but I'd prefer to be non ECM equipped.

My questions were all quick to my thoughts, but now after I've had my hindsight kick in, more questions need to be asked.

I see in this forum that there are good heads and better heads, all O.E.M. Do the good heads come on a particular motor size that would allow a complete salvage motor to be picked?

Are these heads on a LS that has large displacement?

Does this application with the good heads come on an aluminum block, other than Vette or latem model Camaro?

I'm sure I'll have more as people reply. You all know that one questions and answer leads to another.

Thanks again Tom for getting back with me. Yes, that Jegs carbureted motor would be the bomb, but also lots of money. The last time I spent that much money was my hemi and that ended up a bit over $14k. This time I'd like to keep it a lot lower.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Look through the attachment, it will tell you what is aluminum and not....

All the vette motors are aluminum. Trucks and SUV's have aluminum engines in certain years....

You are going to need some wiring. The MSD system will come with it's own harness to connect some engine sensors and coils, for the money, they are pretty turn key.....

T,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look through the attachment, it will tell you what is aluminum and not....

All the vette motors are aluminum. Trucks and SUV's have aluminum engines in certain years....

You are going to need some wiring. The MSD system will come with it's own harness to connect some engine sensors and coils, for the money, they are pretty turn key.....

T,
Tom, thanks again. I have the doc open and will take a look and see what's available in the greater St. Louis area.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
if your wanting to build a bigger motor and just looking for a core there are usually some on ls1tech I have seen for decent prices.

Shawn

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if your wanting to build a bigger motor and just looking for a core there are usually some on ls1tech I have seen for decent prices.

Shawn
THANKS ALL!

The information is great.

What I didn't know before I posted this thread, it appears that for some time now there have been front distributor conversion kits that add a cam gear and fuel pump cam to the end of the cam under a new front cover. It uses small block Ford distributors and fuel pump. This would get rid of the coil banks on each valve cover and may be a bit cheaper in the long run.

As far as budget goes, I'm not sure yet. Right now I'm just thinking about what options I might have instead of a BBC. I also like the possibility of an aluminum block. In a gasser, keeping the frontend weight down is very important.

I'm spoiled on horse power though. You know once you have a ride with tons of torque and can light the tires up at 45 mph, you really don't want to go back to a 250 hp motor.

The information is great on this site and I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm spoiled on horse power though. You know once you have a ride with tons of torque and can light the tires up at 45 mph, you really don't want to go back to a 250 hp motor.
I had a BBC dynoed @ 600hp and I decided to swap it for a 350hp LS1 and I am more happy now than before.. For me anyways I enjoy driving my car and not looking at the watertemp or worried about traffic on a 100 degree day..

·
Registered
310 Posts
LS7 is a 427 cube alumimum block. Biggest made by chev. 6.2 (376 cube)are available in salvage yards but the prices have gone up with demand.

I have LS2 sleeved and stroked to 427 cube. LS3 heads, LS3 intake. Small 228-232 cam. Manley forged roating assembly. 4l60e with 3200 stall. Did 460 hp at the rear wheels. About 550hp at the crank. Built the short block with studs and dowelled the main caps so as I upgrade I won't need to to touch the short block. Trying to decide what to do this winter. Spend the big bucks for AFR heads or go with ported LS3 heads so I can keep my LS3 intake.

Alot of people are running bigger numbers but this motor in my 67 will smoke the tires at 40-45 mph. On the highway 19-20 mpg. Around town 16 mpg. Never over heated even at 90 plus degrees.

I think you can duplicate this engine less harness and accessories $7000-$8000 or less if you shop well.

I don't see many folks running the front distributor. Check LS1 tech there is a sticky there with details.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, very good information.

I'll check out the Sticky LS1 Tech thread.

69bigblock, I understand hp can be a problem when it creates un-needed heat and other issues. My application was with a 6:71 blower on 399 ci and it did fair on the road for mileage, about 12 to 13 @ 70 mph. It was very streetable for what it was. Blown motors tend to have a whole different torque curve than the same hp in a naturally asperated 4bl motor. Even though it was only 399 ci, it pulled much stronger than my friends '55 with a 502/502. My wife would take the Willys for the evening and pick up her girlfriend and go to Saginaw about 25 miles away and get some ice scream, just for the ride. She had no issues handling it. I just think that I want that again and I'm not sure how to get it. My gut is saying LS something...

I was a service manager for a Chevy/Pontiac dealership for 15 years and while attending a tech class in Warren MI, I got to know the instructor of the drivetrain class. He had two '69 Z28's. Both were restored, but one was a 302 and the other was a 350. He liked the drive the 302 for short periods, but like some of the two stroke motorcycles, the power band was very narrow and you had to keep the revs up all the time. The 350 had okay power and was much more streetable with better throttle response across the rpm range.

I'm very interested to hear from anyone on this subject and their experiences.

Thanks again and keep the information coming...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Dan,
Have you seen this Chevy II LS1 Gasser that Chad here on Steves did?
Video here:

It's EFI.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
ls1

I had a 1990 chevy ss454 truck that I swapped an ls1 with a magnacharger in it. When I did it people thought I was crazy 454 vs a ls1? The truck ran 14.99 with the big block at my altitude, when I ran the truck with the ls1 right off the bat it ran 12.32 and my gas mileage went from 9mpg to 20 mpg best thing I had ever done and I also got the nice loud supercharger noise to boot. Even with a supercharger on the 454 I don't think it would have ran high 13's. I wanted to eventually trade pulleys and cams and see if i could get it into the 11's but sold it and bought the nova, and the ls1 is going in this winter.:)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can get an LS2 out of the 05/06 GTO's for pretty reasonable prices. That's 6 liters to start with, an aluminum block, and 400HP/400TQ dead stock. My complete dropout package with 4-speed auto, EFI, computer, wiring, *everything* was $5500--and only 38k miles on the clock.

Add a cam, springs, headers, and a tune, and you're at 500HP. I don't see why anyone would want a carb with power on tap like this.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Glenn, I believe that is a fake Hilborn system, there is a carb underneath it. There was a build thread on it. Nobody is making a Hilborn system for an LSX platform, but there are others that are very similar...

T,
Hi Tom,
Yes, you are correct and I was aware of that, my point was from the 'angle' that a LS-series EFI engine can power the car, no matter what the 'style'.
I should have taken the time to have written that all out.

I have built a Gasser from a '41 Willys Coupe, and in my opinion, if your going to build a car with a specific 'look' of a '60's-'70's era car that is going to require the hood to be opened up for inspection, then by all means use a old-style 23* degree SBC, and use a tunnelram with 2 Holley 660 center squrters, with velocity stacks mounted on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glenn, I believe that is a fake Hilborn system, there is a carb underneath it. There was a build thread on it. Nobody is making a Hilborn system for an LSX platform, but there are others that are very similar...

T,
I don't think that is quite correct...

http://www.hilborninjection.com/product.asp?Id=429&CatId=174

I have seen one before and it was pretty cool, but that means EFI. Another option that might fit the theme would be the dual quad holly manifold:

https://www.holley.com/300-120.asp

Hope this helps!

Best,
Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts