Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
seems pretty much everyone wants to swap to an LS engine. When I am reading these threads about putting in an LS it seems like there's a lot of extra things that need to be wired in. Do you have to add a computer to the car for all the upgrades that come with an LS? Is there somewhere that a person can go to get an idea of all the mods to expect when going to an LS? I'll be putting a CPP Mustang II IFS system on my car when I am read to put the front end back together, will an LS engine drop right in with that front end?
Well, I will add a few things that hopefully will help you. I have a ccp m/2 clip and a ls in my 63 wagon. Its under construction, but moving along. I'm using the 4l80e and I widened my trans tunnel for room. I'm using the f-body oil pan and It will clear in the 3/4 inch forward engine mount(barely!!). It looks like block hugger headers will provide lots of clearance. Now onto the ls, I think you have to decide if you will be using the ls trans? If so you will need a controller for it. You can cut a stock harness down and have the ecu reflashed. Start a tally sheet on your intentions. Stock vs mod's. I think this will lead you to either keep stock harness or buy aftermarket. Aftermarket is nice but has a cost. I have swapped a few, these are nice tough, efficient engines. IMO buying the engine and harness is the cheap part of the swap. I would not be afraid to buy a high mile engine. As always its best to hear them run before buying. Put in a new oil pump and timing chain and IMO your all set for a reliable engine that rips! and gets good mileage to boot. I hope this helps you! Good Luck!:)
To clarify the trans part if you use the 4l60 or 4l80 it will need a controller unless they are modified to full manual mode. if you use any other chevy trans (th350/400) no controller need for trans.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, I will add a few things that hopefully will help you. I have a ccp m/2 clip and a ls in my 63 wagon. Its under construction, but moving along. I'm using the 4l80e and I widened my trans tunnel for room. I'm using the f-body oil pan and It will clear in the 3/4 inch forward engine mount(barely!!). It looks like block hugger headers will provide lots of clearance. Now onto the ls, I think you have to decide if you will be using the ls trans? If so you will need a controller for it. You can cut a stock harness down and have the ecu reflashed. Start a tally sheet on your intentions. Stock vs mod's. I think this will lead you to either keep stock harness or buy aftermarket. Aftermarket is nice but has a cost. I have swapped a few, these are nice tough, efficient engines. IMO buying the engine and harness is the cheap part of the swap. I would not be afraid to buy a high mile engine. As always its best to hear them run before buying. Put in a new oil pump and timing chain and IMO your all set for a reliable engine that rips! and gets good mileage to boot. I hope this helps you! Good Luck!:)
To clarify the trans part if you use the 4l60 or 4l80 it will need a controller unless they are modified to full manual mode. if you use any other chevy trans (th350/400) no controller need for trans.
Agree with all. One thing I did beyond that was since I plan to keep my car and hand it off to my son I had the bores honed and I did all new bearings, rings and gaskets. Yes the engine ran great and it most likely would have run forever but for peace of mind since I was already doing cam, timing chain, lifters and valve springs I went with new rings and bearings also. One thing that I love about these engines is if you end up with an oil leak it would amaze me. Lots of people also go with the billet aluminum barbell in the rear oil gallery during the swap and bushings in the rocker arms.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 700R4 and 2004R are also computer free options for autos that get you overdrive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 700R4 and 2004R are also computer free options for autos that get you overdrive.
Yes for sure! If you are staying on the mild side of a ls those are good options without computer control. One of the issues is the cable on those if you are using factory style efi setups.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts