Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re putting an LS/LC9 in my 66, with a “beefed up” 4L60E. I’ve tried to research SNS for a good converter recommendation, but haven’t found anything conclusive.
Like I said, the trans has been beefed up and the 5.3 has a little bigger cam with stiffer springs. I didn’t put the motor together myself, so I don’t have any more on the specifics of the internals than that. It’s got a new FItech 650 for intake, with Church Boys mid-length headers out. The car is still stripped to the absolute bare bones right now, so I’ve got some time to figure this out.
This is going to be primarily a cruiser, but I also used to campaign a mid to low 9 sec bracket Nova, so I want a converter that is on the drag racing friendly side. I’ve kinda got adversarial feelings towards Mustangs.
What say you? 2500? 3000? 3500?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*** ... w/ 3.55 rear end and running about as much 17” wheel/tire combo as I can with a Church Boys Tri-4 link...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would call FTI, Yank, TCI, etc and ask them, but most people like above 3k for ls engines. Check out LS1tech forum for good info on what those guys are running and let us know what you choose!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Closer to 4000, probably a 9.5" converter would work best. As you know shorty headers aren't really worth much more than stock manifolds, so it makes getting a converter that flashes high all the more worth it. My cousin has a 5.7 LS1 with shorties and otherwise awesome parts. Tight 2800 converter, it only 60s in the high 1.8 range.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I would contact YANK they will help you decide.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, thank you very much. You guys probably saved me a bunch of money and frustration! NPHNP!!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,448 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to also contact Edge Racing Converters. A custom configured "Street Edge" converter might work well for you. I use one of their custom built Street Edge converters (non LS set-up) and have been extremly happy with it.... both daily driving and racing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To any variables here to give you a recommendation on exact stall size. Most importantly is the manufacturer. When it comes to converters you get what you pay for. Yank, precision ind, coan, fti are you more top of the line. TCI, fuddle, midwest, etc are more middle of the road so so converters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts