Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the question. Are there headers or exhaust manifolds avail that will work? I was going to cut and reweld a set of truck manifolds, the pass side is just to tight, drivers side I could probably make work. The car is a '63 wagon with Church rack and lca, L33 (5.3 alloy block) in stock location with a 4l60e trans. I've PMd stangsforsale without any reply. If not, is there a recomended source for flanges and bends so I can fabricate?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Finding exhaust to fit the LSx conversion is apparently an ongoing adventure for some of us. If you are looking for oem exhaust you can cut up and re-weld I have some C5 steel oem exhaust manifolds (they are not cast iron). Send me a PM and email address for pics if interested. -Bob

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
You will have to fabricate if you are using a stock front end. No stock manifolds to my knowledge will fit the passenger side. Scoggin Dickey parts for the flanges, and Speedway motors for the bends and tubing. Watch your clearance to the ground, looks can be deceiving when it comes to ground clearance. I have scraping issues with my headers on rough roads.

Jack

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I was JUST about to post a similar thread!

My question is more oriented toward the performance guys. I will be running a stock displacement heads/cam LS1 with a "aggressive" cam profile.:devil: I REALLY need to run a set of long tubes to take advantage of my to-be combination. I'm running a checkered clip so I have a bit more room that a stock front end car. The trans tunnel has been opened up quite a bit already since the car has been tubbed and fitted with a TH350 at the moment. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make a set of LTs fit - my question is does anyone make them specific to this vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
OK here's the question. Are there headers or exhaust manifolds avail that will work? I was going to cut and reweld a set of truck manifolds, the pass side is just to tight, drivers side I could probably make work. The car is a '63 wagon with Church rack and lca, L33 (5.3 alloy block) in stock location with a 4l60e trans. I've PMd stangsforsale without any reply. If not, is there a recomended source for flanges and bends so I can fabricate?
Thanks for the help.
Nothing to date without making your own. Some folks have had success with cutting the shock tower to get room.

I was JUST about to post a similar thread!

My question is more oriented toward the performance guys. I will be running a stock displacement heads/cam LS1 with a "aggressive" cam profile.:devil: I REALLY need to run a set of long tubes to take advantage of my to-be combination. I'm running a checkered clip so I have a bit more room that a stock front end car. The trans tunnel has been opened up quite a bit already since the car has been tubbed and fitted with a TH350 at the moment. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make a set of LTs fit - my question is does anyone make them specific to this vehicle?

Thanks!
Talk to Tim of Tim's Hot Rods...he is ibuildm on here, he sells all kinds of parts for Heidt's, TCI etc...he probably has aset of long tubes that will work.....

T,

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Talk to Tim of Tim's Hot Rods...he is ibuildm on here, he sells all kinds of parts for Heidt's, TCI etc...he probably has aset of long tubes that will work.....
T,
Hey thanks Tom! I just sent him an email asking about my options. Also saw he has a pair made for a TCI front on ebay for 689 shipped - not such a bad price. If I recall the TCI uses Mustang II components as well so hopefully it will be similar. :)

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Yes, Tim was going to sell me a set for my Heidt's clip from TCI, he said they work, has used them before....that was until I swapped the mid lengths I had for the right ones...If Tim can't find it, or know someone who has it......you are skewered, Tim's a great guy...he'll hook it up if he can.

T,

·
Registered
155 Posts
An idea for lsx headers for the stock frontend?

I have a 66 Chevy II 4 door with the stock frontend. The 6 cylinder and powerglide are long gone. Presently the lsx motor mounts are done and the 4L60E trans is held up by a jack. This week i've been working on the transmission crossmember and next will look at headers for my lsx swap.

I've read online where some people bought headers for a F*rd Mustang (60's versions) because of the limited routing space around the shock towers and similar to lsx flange spacing and just cut the F*rd flange then bent the pipes to the lsx flange.

My recent idea has been to buy a set of headers specific for a Chevy II Gen 1 sbc motor and remove the flange. Then test fit them in place with a Gen 3 (lsx) flange and see if it clearances the steering and transmission. Since the pipe routing for these should already be close to ideal for a Chevy II with a v-8. I know the middle two pipes on each side will have to be modified for the lsx flange but I'm open to modifying those.

While shopping around i've seen some of the Flowtech brand headers with 1 1/2" diameter for around $100+. Even if I just make the Flowtech's work and then use them to build a template to build some 1 3/4" headers.

It might be worth a shot. Who knows? I'm open to all NPHNP input...

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jack. That will probably help. Does anyone see a reason not to do a set of tri-y headers? It seems like it would work out well with the firing order of the LS engines.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Yes, Tim was going to sell me a set for my Heidt's clip from TCI, he said they work, has used them before....that was until I swapped the mid lengths I had for the right ones...If Tim can't find it, or know someone who has it......you are skewered, Tim's a great guy...he'll hook it up if he can.

T,
Ok, got a response back from Tim after I showed him a picture of my front end. Says he does not think the TCI headers will work since the crossmember is so wide.

Anyone have any other ideas? :) :yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts

I have a 66 Chevy II 4 door with the stock frontend. The 6 cylinder and powerglide are long gone. Presently the lsx motor mounts are done and the 4L60E trans is held up by a jack. This week i've been working on the transmission crossmember and next will look at headers for my lsx swap.

I've read online where some people bought headers for a F*rd Mustang (60's versions) because of the limited routing space around the shock towers and similar to lsx flange spacing and just cut the F*rd flange then bent the pipes to the lsx flange.

My recent idea has been to buy a set of headers specific for a Chevy II Gen 1 sbc motor and remove the flange. Then test fit them in place with a Gen 3 (lsx) flange and see if it clearances the steering and transmission. Since the pipe routing for these should already be close to ideal for a Chevy II with a v-8. I know the middle two pipes on each side will have to be modified for the lsx flange but I'm open to modifying those.

While shopping around i've seen some of the Flowtech brand headers with 1 1/2" diameter for around $100+. Even if I just make the Flowtech's work and then use them to build a template to build some 1 3/4" headers.

It might be worth a shot. Who knows? I'm open to all NPHNP input...
The problem that you are going to encounter is the fact that the exhaust ports sit lower than your standard SBC. Also the LS engine is fair amount wider than your standard SBC.

Jared

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Jack

I appreciate you sharing and answering peoples questions. I have bookmarked your Webshots pages for ideas when I get there.

How large are your header tubes?
The tubes are 1 3/4", and I built them piece by piece in the car.

Yes, I have ground clearance issues..I thought that I built them pretty tight, but I do scrape them from time to time.

Tri-Y would be doable by someone with much better fabrication skill than I have.

Jack

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Jack,

Thanks for your input. I'm going to take some measurements this weekend. Sanderson, S&P, TCI, and Heidts make a number of options I might be able to use off the shelf, or with some small modifications. I'm willing to do what it takes to fit in a set of full lengths. :)

Thanks!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts