Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doing a ls swap in my 67 and i'm also going from 4 wheel manual drum brakes to c5 corvette brakes all around. i've been noticing that a lot of people are using just the wilwood master cylinder with no power booster. i know it gets tight trying to fit a 9" booster and i'm thinking 7" booster with wilwood master.
i would like to get other peoples opinion on what they run and if your manual brakes work fine. also opinions on how affective a 7" booster would be.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
35 Posts
doing a ls swap in my 67 and i'm also going from 4 wheel manual drum brakes to c5 corvette brakes all around. i've been noticing that a lot of people are using just the wilwood master cylinder with no power booster. i know it gets tight trying to fit a 9" booster and i'm thinking 7" booster with wilwood master.
i would like to get other peoples opinion on what they run and if your manual brakes work fine. also opinions on how affective a 7" booster would be.

thanks for the input
I used a hydra boost, on my 66 Chevy II with LS3/6L80, I did have to move the left rear coil forward about 3/4 of an inch. I owned a 1970 split bumper Camaro 40 years ago that had disc brakes without a booster and it was like a crackwhore, it would not stop

·
Registered
587 Posts
I tried manual and didn't like it. I went hydro boost and love the way the brakes feel

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking of hydro boost but it's almost twice the price as a 7" booster/mc plus the cost of the hoses that would need to be made.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the Corvette C5 on my 66 with 6.2L LS and I am happy with Manual brakes. Like TomM said save the dough.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm running just Wilwood master cylinder with no booster. I have Wilwood four piston calipers with 12.19 rotors. Ihave driven cars before with no power brakes so I don't miss it. My car will stop on a dime. I have gotten on the brakes hard a couple of times just to make sure my car would do what it is supposed to do. It stops as good as anything I've ever sat in, you just have to mash the pedal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’m pleased with my manual brakes. Willwood master with 4 piston calipers on 11” rotors. Plenty of braking for a 3200 pound car.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
147 Posts
I too run manual brakes on my 68 Camaro and love it. I autocross it and it’ll stop on a dime. I’m planning on running manual brakes on my 67 Nova as well but there’s two things to keep in mind...master cylinder piston size and proportioning valve. I’d call whoever you plan to use for the master cylinder but they’ll most likely tell you to run a 15/16” for manual brakes and 7/8” or 1” for power brakes, depending on your pedal ratio. For manual brakes, I’d definitely run an adjustable prop valve so you can dial in the brake bias and get the best stopping capability.
You’ll find on the LS swapped 66-67’s that the room you’ll have for a small brake booster will be minimal and make simple tasks like pulling the driver’s valve cover or getting to the steering linkage, clutch linkage or spark plugs a total PITA. Like others have said, the problems will outweigh the gain at some point for anyone who drives their car and expects to work on it.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
The above master has built in prop. valve. All the pressure and bias adjustments are done with an allen wrench at that rear side nut. I have this on each of my 66 cars. They work great.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I guess I will be the odd man out. I run a 9" booster with Willwood master. It is extremely tight to the shock tower, like matchbook tight. I have my engine set 3/4" forward of the neutral position, and I have just enough clearance to get my "tall" valve covers off.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm going to try the manual brakes and see how i like them. if i'm not happy i'll probably bite the bullet and get the hydro boost setup.

·
Registered
973 Posts

thanks for the input
I’ve got a 7” dual diaphragm booster on mine. 13” 6 piston and 12.19” 4 pistons wilwoods All around. Brakes were kinda hard at times and didn’t stop quite how I liked. I spent $3k on brakes I want to STOP. I added a vacuum valve assembly off a F150. It added 12” of vacuum at idle. Went from 12” to 24”. It will throw you threw the windshield. I like power brakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts

thanks for the input
Iam using this set up (no booster)on my 69 nova . It works great,I have a great feel on th peddle and it stops on a dime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts