Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on the LS-1 carburetor conversion? From what I've been seeing, 490-500hp is not a rare case with this conversion. Just seeing if anyone has exeperience with this or opinions on this versus going with the traditional sbc 350 or 383.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
What are your opinions on the LS-1 carburetor conversion? From what I've been seeing, 490-500hp is not a rare case with this conversion. Just seeing if anyone has exeperience with this or opinions on this versus going with the traditional sbc 350 or 383.
Saw one on powerblock, they got a kit, didn't say how much, but changed the cam, special front housing, Valve covers, and other parts, uses a ford distributer, 750 Holley and a few other goodies, Around the 500HP mark. Go to powerblock.com and look for the conversion. May tell you the prices and source of the kit.

·
3,876 Posts
Don't get the Edelbrock ignition box. Not enough tunability as compared to the MSD 6010 box.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I would have to ask why you would do this? You can achieve those same numbers with fuel injection. The carb setup is obviously not a bolt on 500+ HP deal, you still have to build a lower end to support that much HP, so......why?......:confused:

This is the old F**D versus Chevy deal. I have heard people go either way....me personally, if you are going to run a crab, build a traditional SB/BB...

For fuel injection stay with the way it was engineered. You can actually buy an LS7 vette motor, with 505 HP, and it's fuel injected, stock configuration. Add a throttle body, some porting, cam etc and you are at 550+ easy, with the tunability of FI..... I don't really see the benefit of carbing a fuel injected motor......Sherp is building one to go 550+ with fuel injection.........:eek:

T,

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Personally I think the LS EFI looks out of place in a classic car.I love the performance aspect though.A manifold with injectors and a 4 barrel throttle body would be sweet but it is expensive.:D

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good carb setup. The LS motors have a lot more HP potential than a SBC.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would have to ask why you would do this? You can achieve those same numbers with fuel injection. The carb setup is obviously not a bolt on 500+ HP deal, you still have to build a lower end to support that much HP, so......why?......:confused:

Actually the carb setup is better IMO due to the lean cylinder issue with the LS series fuel injection. The problem is more prevalent once you start to modify the engine. If I am not mistaken it is the #8 cylinder that tends to go lean due to the distance between the cylinder and the throttle body out on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Personally I think the LS EFI looks out of place in a classic car.
I agree. its because of that ugly alien looking intake and coil near plug crap on the valve covers.

on the other hand, an ls1 with a single plane intake is a beautiful thing to behold

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
One option:

LS Front Distributor Drive Cover
Developed for extreme-performance
engines and those with a carburetor that
require a conventional distributor in place
of the crank-trigger system. Kit includes
front cover, bolt-on camshaft drive gear
and hardware. Does not include distributor
fuel pump, or harmonic balancer (required).

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I agree. its because of that ugly alien looking intake and coil near plug crap on the valve covers.

on the other hand, an ls1 with a single plane intake is a beautiful thing to behold
You could relocate the coils. I've never seen it done. Anyone have pics.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
IMO if your gonna go LSX then you should go EFI because you can get all the EFI stuff with the motor. I gotta imagine to go carb is gonna be about 1k not including carb cost so EFI make more sense to me.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
If cost is what were looking at yes you will put down some money to swap to carb but if your gonna mod the efi you will most likely need to go to a tuner and have them tune the car whete as with a carb all you need is a screw driver

·
Registered
177 Posts
For fuel injection stay with the way it was engineered. You can actually buy an LS7 vette motor, with 505 HP, and it's fuel injected, stock configuration. Add a throttle body, some porting, cam etc and you are at 550+ easy, with the tunability of FI..... I don't really see the benefit of carbing a fuel injected motor......Sherp is building one to go 550+ with fuel injection.........:eek:

T,
You don't need a LS7 to make those numbers, there are guys out there getting 500+rwhp from a cam and bolt ons with the LS3.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
You don't need a LS7 to make those numbers, there are guys out there getting 500+rwhp from a cam and bolt ons with the LS3.
Yes I know, just and example of "over the counter" horsepower, with no mods for him.....

I am sure this topic will be debated until the end of time......to each his own I suppose....

T,

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was just a thought and I know that I you would have to put a bigger cam in there to actually realize any big power gains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts