Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a few questions about the newer LS style motors. From what I have read, the lq4, lq9 and ls1 are basically all the same type of block right? other then ones aluminum and the other two are iron. I am looking to do a twin turbo ls series motor so I am looking into a lq4 because its the exact same motor as the lq9 but has dished pistons and a half point less compression wise. I plan on forged internals so the lq4 sounds like a logical choice right?

Because the lq4 and lq9 are 6.0 and the ls1 is 5.7...how do the bottom end parts swap over...It obviously doesnt make sense to put forged internals for a 5.7 ls1 into a 6.0 so where do I find forged bottom setups for these motors? Havent found anything. Anyone with experience with these motors?

THANKS

·
3,863 Posts
The crank swaps between the 5.7 and 6.0, 6.2 etc becasue they are all the same stroke (3.622). The thing you have to be aware of is the reluctor ring. There are two different reluctors: a 24 tooth found on earlier motors and a 58 tooth on the later ones. If you use the ECM these are not interchangable without another piece of electronic equipment.

Forged internals are found all over. Callies, Eagle, Lunati all make cranks and rods. There are a pletora of pipston manufacturers: Mahle, Probe are two that come to mind. If you plan on all forged intrernals anyway it doesn't matter what motor you start with. You can plan your build accordingly.

One note: make a plan and stick to it. Changing directions in the LS world gets expensive very quickly.

Try LS1tech.com

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I'm an LS rookie, but I thought the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 and 6.2 ltr cranks were ballanced differently base on the bore size to accomodate the different weight pistons. There is also a two different crank flanges depending on the application.

·
3,863 Posts
That may be true, but if you change to forged pistons and rods you have to rebalance anyway. The crank flange difference is only found on the 99-00 truck motors. If you use a TH 350, 400, 2004R 700R4 you want the longer flange or else you need a spacer. No big deal either way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok Ive always heard good things about eagle. Found out they have more then one size of stroke....3.622, 4.000, 4.100 and 4.250.

Im honestly a noob when it comes to the bottom end of motors and am trying to learn so sorry if I may ask stupid questions.

If you change the stroke what else do you have to change in the motor? advantages, disadvantages?

I also read something about the t56 not being able to bolt up to certain years of the lq4?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Ok Ive always heard good things about eagle. Found out they have more then one size of stroke....3.622, 4.000, 4.100 and 4.250.

If you change the stroke what else do you have to change in the motor? advantages, disadvantages?
Just remember that if you want to keep compression reasonable, you don't want to stroke it too much. Stroking increases the cubic inches, and unless you get heads with bigger combustion chambers it will increase your compression ratio a LOT. If you want to keep prices reasonable, use 6.0 heads. All(5.3/6.0, not sure about 4.8) truck motors from 2001-up are the exact same specs as LS1 except for the displacement, intake, PCM, and fuel equipment. IIRC, they all have relatively the same compression.

In order for a 4.8L to have the same compression ratio as a 6.0, the combustion chambers of the 6.0 have to be proportionately bigger. If you put 6.0 heads on a 4.8 CR will decrease, if you put 4.8 heads on a 6.0, compression will increase.

LS1, 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L heads flow close to each other. The 6.0 heads have the LS6 d-shaped exhaust ports. For a turbo build IMO I would stay with a stock stroke 5.3L with 6.0 heads. Too bad PWRTRIP75 is gone... he had this setup with a single turbo @ 650HP([email protected]) and is now building a twin turbo. He expected the new motor to put out something like 1200HP? or was it more? Just my opinion though.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just remember that if you want to keep compression reasonable, you don't want to stroke it too much. Stroking increases the cubic inches, and unless you get heads with bigger combustion chambers it will increase your compression ratio a LOT. If you want to keep prices reasonable, use 6.0 heads. All(5.3/6.0, not sure about 4.8) truck motors from 2001-up are the exact same specs as LS1 except for the displacement, intake, PCM, and fuel equipment. IIRC, they all have relatively the same compression.

In order for a 4.8L to have the same compression ratio as a 6.0, the combustion chambers of the 6.0 have to be proportionately bigger. If you put 6.0 heads on a 4.8 CR will decrease, if you put 4.8 heads on a 6.0, compression will increase.

LS1, 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L heads flow close to each other. The 6.0 heads have the LS6 d-shaped exhaust ports. For a turbo build IMO I would stay with a stock stroke 5.3L with 6.0 heads. Too bad PWRTRIP75 is gone... he had this setup with a single turbo @ 650HP([email protected]) and is now building a twin turbo. He expected the new motor to put out something like 1200HP? or was it more? Just my opinion though.:)
what motor is the 5.3 considered? I was planning on a LQ4 which is a 6.0 because I heard there a great start for forced induction. is that not the case? And also do you know what size cc heads come on these motors? are they good enough to keep or should I change over to heads off a LS2,6

I also found this rotating assy on ebay. it bumps the stroke to 4.100 and still shows it having 9.3:1compression which is less then stock or if you run 72 chamber heads it shows it at 8.8??

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
what motor is the 5.3 considered? I was planning on a LQ4 which is a 6.0 because I heard there a great start for forced induction. is that not the case? And also do you know what size cc heads come on these motors? are they good enough to keep or should I change over to heads off a LS2,6

I also found this rotating assy on ebay. it bumps the stroke to 4.100 and still shows it having 9.3:1compression which is less then stock or if you run 72 chamber heads it shows it at 8.8??
5.3L is LM7.

If you can find something to bring your compression down from 11:1 to something reasonable for turbos do it.:D In that case stick with the 6.0.:devil:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5.3L is LM7.

If you can find something to bring your compression down from 11:1 to something reasonable for turbos do it.:D In that case stick with the 6.0.:devil:
11:1? huh? what motor has 11:1 compression? I thought the lq4 had 9.5 and the lq9 had 10.1 or something like that ? I could be wrong...just trying to get my facts straight because im new to this haha

also what years of lq4 can I bolt the t56 to? I heard there were certain years that would not bolt up right?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you plan on rebuilding the engine to include forged internals, it doesn't matter whether you start with an LQ4 or LQ9, as you will be replacing the crankshaft, rods, and pistons with ones that fit the specs required for your forced induction build. The LQ4 and LQ9 both use the same heads, which are essentially the LS6 heads (same ports) with larger CC combustion chambers and are good basis for forced induction.

The LQ4 will be the more common of the two iron-block 6.0L truck engines since the LQ9 was only used in a few limited models. It will also have a cheaper "buy-in" cost. Unless the initial buy-in cost is a major concern, there's no reason to go with the 5.3L over the 6.0L. The greater displacement will be to your benefit as will the better cylinder heads.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
what kind of HP or #'s are u tryin to run....??? pm PWRTRP71, i think that his name. he has a 5.3l, stock short block, w/ a turbo on it in the 10's. that LQ4 is a great startin point, find one thats running, w/ somewhat low miles & put a turbo on it. then rebuild it when u blow it up. since ur a newb @ this, u sure u wanna build a motor & possibly blow it up, when running LQ4 can be found for about $2000, give or take a lil....... hope this helps, good luck w/ it...

LIL JOHN

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
WOW, that sucks!!! :(:(:( he was doin some crazy stuff w/ stock internals & a turbo..... dam, i was gonna ask him some stuff too, but oh well.... how do ya know..????

LIL JOHN
Well I thought it was pretty obvious... He put "GONE" in his sig and made a big scene with the repo dude. He's still on myspace though

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks for the tips. Im looking for 7-800rwhp on pump gas.

so another question about the heads...there basically better then the ls6 heads for my application right? since there bigger theylll have lower compression? are the stock springs, rockers, etc fine if left stock?

what would you suggest for a cam? split duration?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
guys, Im this close to committing to an ls1 setup. I have some questions though

should I buy a complete engine and use what I want?

when one buys an engine is it then torn down and rebuilt, or just put in and run?

what is the best pan that would drop right in to a 3rd gen nova?

finally, how much power do the lq4/lq9s make from the factory in bone stock form?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys, Im this close to committing to an ls1 setup. I have some questions though

should I buy a complete engine and use what I want?

when one buys an engine is it then torn down and rebuilt, or just put in and run?

what is the best pan that would drop right in to a 3rd gen nova?

finally, how much power do the lq4/lq9s make from the factory in bone stock form?

From what I have read about LS1's its all about what you want to do with the motor. I think a lot of guys just shove them in the car if there low mileage motors and run them the way they are unless there wanting to do something wild with them.

I know the truck pan that comes on the Lq4/lq9 has to be modified to fit any nova but the pans from f body LS1 cars will fit. At least on first and second gens. Not sure on the third gen novas.

LQ4
The Vortec 6000, or LQ4, is a V8 truck engine. It is a bored version of the Vortec 5300. Displacement is 6.0 L (~366 cu in) from 101.6 mm bore and 92 mm stroke. It is an iron/aluminum (2000 model year engines had cast iron heads) design and produces 300 horsepower (220 kW) to 325 horsepower (242 kW) and 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) to 370 lb·ft (502 N·m). LQ4s are built in Romulus, Michigan and Silao, Mexico.

LQ9
The Vortec HO 6000 or VortecMAX is a special high-output version of the Vortec 6000 V8 truck engine originally designed for Cadillac. This engine was introduced in other truck lines as VortecMAX for 2006. It features high-compression (10:1) flat-top pistons for an extra 10 hp (7.5 kW) and 10 ft·lbf (14 N·m), bringing output to 347 hp (257 kW) and 380 ft·lb (515 N·m). LQ9s are built only in Romulus, Michigan. GM also listed it as based on LS architecture.[24]

Hope this helps. Im pretty much relaying this info from what I have learned from these guys on here. haha :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts