Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a LQ4 swap into a 63 and wanted to use the Muncie 4 Speed thats in the car for now. Outside of a better clutch what all else is needed to bring these to together?

·
Registered
406 Posts
There is a certain bellhousing you need on your Muncie. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think its the big block one. Google LS swap Muncie, there is tons of info. Im in the same boat but still need my LS haha

·
Registered
321 Posts
Im doing a LQ4 swap into a 63 and wanted to use the Muncie 4 Speed thats in the car for now. Outside of a better clutch what all else is needed to bring these to together?

I think this will be the BH you will be needing...

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhousings/chevrolet/parts/RM-6036

I would also look into swapping it over to a Hyd Throw out bearing set up. Trying to fish headers around a Z bar would probably be a PITA. Look at American Drivetrain for a conversion clutch pedal kit.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Im sure he can. I would think it would be easier to fish a -3 Teflon hose down past some headers vs a Z bar. :)
I’m totally on board with going to a hydraulic operating system. I just thought you were starting that the stock clutch peddle would need to be changed for some reason.. Hands down, I prefer a hydraulic operated clutch system..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Why can’t he use the factory peddle setup..?
  1. The LS engines don't have a provision for the Z-bar pivot, so he'd need to fabricate one.
  2. Off the shelf aftermarket headers and manifolds would likely interfere with the Z-bar, linkage, and throwout arm. That could mean a lot of purchasing & returning to find the right fit, or head-scratching if he builds his his own.
  3. It's a lot easier to tweak a hydraulic setup if the pedal force or amount of throwout travel winds up being too much or too little; simply change the master cylinder vs reworking linkage arm ratios.

Assuming his headers wouldn't interfere with the throwout arm, he could potentially use an external slave cylinder. That would eliminate potential headaches that arise should the slave cylinder start leaking (which a quality one shouldn't).

·
Registered
448 Posts
  1. The LS engines don't have a provision for the Z-bar pivot, so he'd need to fabricate one.
  2. Off the shelf aftermarket headers and manifolds would likely interfere with the Z-bar, linkage, and throwout arm. That could mean a lot of purchasing & returning to find the right fit, or head-scratching if he builds his his own.
  3. It's a lot easier to tweak a hydraulic setup if the pedal force or amount of throwout travel winds up being too much or too little; simply change the master cylinder vs reworking linkage arm ratios.

Assuming his headers wouldn't interfere with the throwout arm, he could potentially use an external slave cylinder. That would eliminate potential headaches that arise should the slave cylinder start leaking (which a quality one shouldn't).
lots of guys use stock pedal set up with a hydraulic release bearing . Stock pedals have absolutely no bearing on using a z bar or a hydraulic release bearing

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

My question was merely in regards to the factory clutch peddle only not any of the subsequent mechanical Z bar mumbo jumbo..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
lots of guys use stock pedal set up with a hydraulic release bearing . Stock pedals have absolutely no bearing on using a z bar or a hydraulic release bearing
Yes, it does.

The pedal arm has a ratio of pedal pad stroke to actuating rod stroke. The latter amount of stroke when multiplied by the master cylinder bore diameter determines how much fluid is moved. A throwout bearing or slave cylinder will require a specific amount of fluid to move X distance. Depending upon which master cylinder and slave cylinder a person uses, one may need to tweak things to get the optimal amount of "throw" at the clutch. This ratio - and the master cylinder bore size - also affects how much force is required to be applied in order to actuate the clutch mechanism.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts