Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’m pretty new to the LS stuff and I’m pretty sure there are some very knowledgeable people here that can shed some light on the deficiencies I have on this matter. I’ve been considering doing an LS engine and had figured on picking up a 4.8 or 5.3 but have not made any serious plans to make the acquisition of one. I was having my truck smoged at the same place I’ve been going for years and was talking to the owner of the shop while I was waiting for the smog test to be performed. I noticed there was an LS engine sitting on the floor and asked about it. He points to the truck he’s working on and says it was pulled out of that one. They replaced it with a fresh engine. I asked if it was a 4.8 or a 5.3 and he says it’s a 6.0 I need it out of here, you want it..? I said sure..

So now I’ve got an LQ4 a short block to work with and I’m studying up on all the LS info I can find but I have to make some choices. Right now, I’m going to need heads. My 6.0 came with only one #317 and no intake or valley pan. I’m figuring on an Elgin stage 2 cam 585 lift, 228/230 duration, 112 LSA. I like the torque curve and fairly square torque to horsepower rating. I been watching the videos from Richard Holdner from Westech performance and liked the 6.0 setup he did with this cam and the top end parts which were LS3 intake and heads. What I haven’t been able to find is the differences between the different heads. It seems like some are more desirable but I haven’t found what the actual specs are on each head that designates the differences. I can assume the some have better flow, smaller combustion chambers, and that there are cathedral and rectangular ports heads.

What are the differences between the rectangular LS3 heads vs some of the 5.3 cathedral heads like 243/799 & 706 that are more desirable..?

Also, do I need to change the springs on the heads with the Stage 2 cam?

If you know of any sites that helpful with the head information please post it up. I have been on the LS1 site some. Not quite found what I’m looking for there yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,894 Posts
Richard Holdener had a video on LS heads but I can't find it. So what are your plans? I sent a pair of heads to this group for CNC porting.
I'm tempted to try this manifold porting service.
Other than my too mild cam my LS will follow old school Hotrod logic.

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
I been watching the videos from Richard Holdner from Westech performance and liked the 6.0 setup he did with this cam and the top end parts which were LS3 intake and heads. What I haven’t been able to find is the differences between the different heads. It seems like some are more desirable but I haven’t found what the actual specs are on each head that designates the differences. I can assume the some have better flow, smaller combustion chambers, and that there are cathedral and rectangular ports heads.
Richard has a videos comparing all the factory heads in lots of combinations. By what your saying you want a factory head.
Here is a link to all the specs, the testing was on a 5.3
Surprising HP Numbers From Our Stock LS Cylinder Head Test
Your 317 head has the largest chambers 71cc and your LQ4 had 9.4 to 1, so all the other heads will raise that CR if that matters to you.
Agreed the Elgin SS2 cam & LS3 combo is good, he does a few others with the SS2 and different heads.
Why not just buy the LS3's new, they are a great deal, IMO
The Elgin SS2 cam is also copied by Trick flow

·
Registered
469 Posts
I went with LQ4, cathedral 799 heads, LS6 intake and the WS6 Store high lift ASA cam. Love it so far. It made 413 to the tires with a loose converter and I can tell now that its broken in that has raised some. I've been looking at the Trickflow 225 LSX heads but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plans are not set in stone and coming up with this 6.0L engine was not really what I was looking for but the potential possibilities are very interesting. I’d like to increase the torque at the lower rpm range and keep the tq/hp values at nearly equal levels. I’m not looking at all out top hp levels. The SS2 cam seems to do that pretty well and I know there is more in there but I’m thinking about drivability and good manners. I’ll be running a manual trans behind it which will probably be at the limits of what it can handle but I’m not planning on drag racing with it so I think I can make it work.

In regards to the Elgin cam I believe that they make them and others like Trick Flow, Sloppy Mechanics, etc put their name on it. So I will see if I can go to Elgin and see if the cam and springs are available directly from them.

Heads and intake
I’ve watched Richards 6.0 head comparison video and it looks like the cathedral port heads are better for torque but I haven’t made any decisions at this time. The rectangular port heads are better for CFM flow but that’s at the top end of hp levels and probably not a big concern for my build concept.

·
Registered
10 Posts
go cathedral port heads unless your going high power. they are cheaper also. if you want a good idle stay in about the 228 range of cam with a .585 lift and a 114 or 112 lsa. it will idle nice and pick up 50 plus horsepower with no loss in torque. its simple and powerful. you dont need aftermarket heads unless your going for higher numbers. intake would probably be a ls6 or ls2 intake a truck is fine but might not fit. also if your going stock steering and no rack you will need a gto pan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is a nice cam not too big but big enough

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,894 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That Summit cam isn’t too different from the Elgin/Sloppy Stage 2 cam I’m looking at but Summit is calling theirs a Stage 4 and it has less lift then the Elgin E-1840-P .585/.585, 283/286, 228/230, 112.
this is a nice cam not too big but big enough

1 - 13 of 13 Posts