Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 72 Nova Coupe with stock 350 engine and would like to lower the front end by two inches. Which method is preferred? Cutting coils or lowering spindles?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Cutting your coils will change your suspension geometry and increase spring rate. Drop spindles will lower your car and not affect your ride quality. If you are lowering for looks and not tuning your suspension, go with the drop spindles.

·
Registered
609 Posts
true,

I sometimes will cut a coil and start measuring my stance. Once i decide on what i like i will buy spindles and springs based on my desired stance

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's my understanding that on the 3rd gens cutting the springs is actually better geometry wise. It will stiffen the springs up, that may be a good thing, or maybe not, depending.

Several problems develop when you use drop spindles.

You can't fit some wide tires, the tie rod end winds up two inches lower in relation to the wheel so forget wide front rims.

Geometry stays stock which is not good on a Camaro.

Just trimming the springs to lower the car will put the geometry in a slightly better position as far as camber gain.
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension_geome.htm

·
3,863 Posts
I've heard this statement many times and have always wondered. With no other modifications, how does cutting a coil off a spring stiffen it? This makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've heard this statement many times and have always wondered. With no other modifications, how does cutting a coil off a spring stiffen it? This makes no sense to me.
the rate does increase but I believe the load that the spring can handle decreases

·
3,863 Posts
I had to do some digging, but the light came on. The spring constant does not change (which was what was stuck in my mind) but the physical act of removing active coils causes an increase in the rate. The abillity of the spring to carry weight is actually reduced (because of the coil removal) and the propensity of the spring to "bottom out" is increased.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installing dropped spindles can cause tie-rod interference and bump steer issues I believe. Third gen suspension are the same as the first gen camaro suspension and drop spindles are not recommended for first gens. So if you go with dropped spindles do your research. Another option to consider is getting coil springs that lower the car. Someone has done the work for you.

A site to go check out is David Pozzi's web site on first gen camaros. It is an extremely informative site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowering Spindles vs cutting coil springs

Thanks for all the input. I am a newbie to car restoration. I want to lower the front end for a slight rake look (presently the car sits slightly front high). Leafs in the back and coils in the front are original. I was told that lowering spindles allows all the connections to stay the same where cutting the coils or putting lowering coils in the front may cause bump steering problem? I plan on putting a new 1-1/8" dia. sway bar on the front for handling. I'm trying to have a nice driving car. I plan on putting new shocks all around and may have to replace the rear leafs if I don't get the look I want. I was hoping to go one step at a time. Coil over shocks have also be mentioned. What actual purpose do they serve? I have a lot to learn about car suspension. Tire wise I am looking at 225-235 X 60 or 70 size tires all around or slightly smaller tires in front. Thank for any usefull infomation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 73 has cut springs in the front. I hate it. The look is awesome, but I bottom out now, and My tire hits the fender well when I am turning. I just bought coil over for the front to rectify this. If you are low on cash cut the springs. Once you have the money to upgrade, I would replace the front end as a whole.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Swaybar

Having just put a swaybar in the 69, my suggestion is to do that along with whatever spring work you're going to do. Especially with the bigger bars, its so much easier to get them mounted by dropping one of the lower control arms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts