Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hacked up the slidding tracks on a bench seat this weekend, have never liked how high I sit in the car
so before I get it redone thought I would hack on it... think I took out about an inch and a quarter, maybe a bit more....

would have just took the tracks off and bolted it directly to the floor, but occasionally the wife has DD duty in the wagon, so it still needs to slide all the way up...
probably a big waste of about 10 hrs, but I think it will work. Still need to set up all the return springs to make it really functional

stock track

modified track

stock set up- could fit 2 1/2 fingers under the seat

modified seat- could squeeze one finger under the seat

also had to modify the tunnel area....
mock up

finished tunnel area... boxed it in and then rebuilt the edge so it would look nice once it's recovered

hope it works...either way the tracks unbolt so at least that part I can just swap out back to stock if needed.....

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
That's pretty cool. You did a great job! I'll agree I've always felt that I sit pretty high in the car. Maybe it's just because I'm 6' 4".

To me the worst part about the stock bench is the lack of a tiltable back. It's very straight up feeling. I want to try spacing the front mounts up to tilt the whole seat back.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
thanks for posting this, i too felt i sat too high with the bench so i took it out and put two buckets in but i never really looked into what it would take to lower the bench

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm only 6'1", so not too tall, but I always find myself slouching in the car, and that's w/ a 40 year old saggy seat. I can't imagine how high I would feel once the seat is recovered and fresh foam...

it's only a little over an inch drop, I'll probably want it lower once it's all said and done, would have to modify the floor pan for that though....which probably will never happen...

To me the worst part about the stock bench is the lack of a tiltable back. It's very straight up feeling. I want to try spacing the front mounts up to tilt the whole seat back.
not sure if you've got a junk seat (would have to be done w/ the upolstery off) but the stock seat is actually two parts. the back is bolted on w/ two bolts on each side of the frame. Probably wouldn't take much to modify that to lean back at a diff. angle...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you'll have to weld in some loops of something for the hog rings to attach to on that curved area
upolstery dude is going to have to attatch it way under to the inside, there's no room on the tunnel area, it fits too tight (less than 1/2 inch clearance)....I would assume glue it to the curved area and then hog ring it further back where it will fit

might even have to space it up once the carpet and sound deadner is in

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Found this post searching for anybody who has moved their wagon bench seat back 2-3"? I'm 6' 1" and not enough leg room in my 64. Head room is ok. Any experiences to share would be great. :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just take some flat stock and bend it to the shape of the floor pan and drill holes as needed, one for the stock hole and one for the amount of movement to the rear you want...

I think someome might actually make these.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts