Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have a 68, that is currently lowered 2" in front with springs and 2" in rear with 2" blocks. It has Weld ProStars on it with the rear being 15x8 4.5" BS and 225/60/15 tires. The fronts are skinnies and I am fine with them. However, it just does not have the look I am going for yet. I want the rear fender lip as close to even with the lip of the actual wheel. I plan on going down to a 3" block in the rear, then cutting some off the front coils to get the front to match the rear, and I will also be changing my current wheel and tire setup.

I am going to switch to a 15x8 5.5" BS and put in the 3" lowering block. What is the largest tire you think I could put under there? In the next week or two my twin turbo SBC will be installed, so I need some traction. It is just a street cruiser and will likely never see the track or shows etc. I just want to have fun and look how I want to look.

I was hoping a 275/50/15 might tuck up in there, but assume I will need something like a 255. With the 255, can I go with a 50 side wall for less tire to rub up in the well? I am definitely going down to the 3". My shocks are moved inboard and are not an issue.

Here is how she currently sits.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 69 sits lower then your 68 and my car has stock suspension, with that said we have members with 275 out back. I'd suggest make a jig to know exactly how much tire you'll be able to fit in the wheel wells.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174839
That jig thread looks great! Thanks for that!

I have looked at several Novas and I really don't understand why mine still does seem to sit higher or same as their stock setup when I have 2" lowering blocks installed?!?!?

When I bought my Nova, it looked like the below. It had BIG shackle extensions on it and air shocks. I removed the shackles and replaced with stock, and I removed the air shocks. I am moving my shocks inboard and there are not any currently installed in the rear, including the pictures posted above.

I wonder if the previous owner did something to the multi leafs? Or put some in from something else to give it more lift?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Check your shackle at the rear of the leaf spring and make sure they're short, not aftermarket extended ones or the springs may have been rearched. The front springs might be from an AC car too. More then likely someone wanted the car to sit up higher, which was common back in the day. Eaton still sells springs for the Nova, so you could put new springs in, it you want. My car sat up high when I bought it and I put new springs in to put it back to factory ride height.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your shackle at the rear of the leaf spring and make sure they're short, not aftermarket extended ones or the springs may have been rearched. The front springs might be from an AC car too. More then likely someone wanted the car to sit up higher, which was common back in the day. Eaton still sells springs for the Nova, so you could put new springs in, it you want. My car sat up high when I bought it and I put new springs in to put it back to factory ride height.
I changed out the rear leaf shackles myself to stock replacements. I also myself changed out the front springs to CPP 2" lowering springs. The front ones when I ordered them didn't ask me if it was for an AC car or not, just SBC or BBC. I ordered SBC, but maybe they sent BBC? I agree, I am also starting to think that the rear leaf springs may have been re-arched....or from something else all together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts