Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m going to be installing a rack and pinion kit. Why is it mandatory that the rear lower control bolt gets installed facing the rear of the car? The service manual states this as well. You need to install the lower control arm rear bolt from the front to the rear of the car and the lower control arm front bolt from the rear to the front. Which means the rear threaded part of the bolt will be facing the rear of the car and the front bolt threaded part will face the front.

Why is this mandatory???

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
That seems strange. I just installed my unisteer rack onto my Speed Tech sub and it wouldn't even fit that way. I tried putting the bolt from front to back and I couldn't get the bolt to go through the hole going that way. I installed mine with threads facing the front and it fit fine. I'll send a message to the guys at Speed Tech to see what they say. I don't have a manual for mine as I bought the rack from a guy who changed his mind. I'll let you know when I hear back from Blake.

Here's a pic of mine with the bolts facing the front.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems strange. I just installed my unisteer rack onto my Speed Tech sub and it wouldn't even fit that way. I tried putting the bolt from front to back and I couldn't get the bolt to go through the hole going that way. I installed mine with threads facing the front and it fit fine. I'll send a message to the guys at Speed Tech to see what they say. I don't have a manual for mine as I bought the rack from a guy who changed his mind. I'll let you know when I hear back from Blake.

Here's a pic of mine with the bolts facing the front.

Thanks, remember mine is for a 3rd gen and its a manual rack.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is for a 3rd gen also but is power. If I remember correct yours is a unisteer kit also, correct? Mine is also a Unisteer. I sent Blake a message asking him anyways. I'll let you know what he says. I can't see why it would matter, but then again I've seen stranger things.
Yes, mine is a unisteer only is not power assist. Thanks much..

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats kind of what I thought.. The only thing it would cause in my case if I ever needed to remove the rack (like to drop the oil pan). I would need to remove the bolt and not just take off a nut. So, it looks like I'm stuck with doing it the GM way...

Thanks scherp69 for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts