Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, How are we doing.

So I have taken on upgrading my front suspension a little bit. Currently installing new tubular control arms and coilovers. I have one side done. I have an issue and I need some advice and help on the other passenger side lower control arm I removed one of the bolts and nut not to much of an issue. But the other bolt i cannot get out of the control arm the bolt is located towards the tie rod side of the control arm. This bolt refuses to come out the nut is off. If anyone one could give some ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Ive Tried wd-40 and torching it.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
hahaha I got the hours of aggravation part. Would you recommend a good brand metal blade for sawzall? Thank you for your help!!
I just grab the sawzall metal cutting blades at Home Depot, they go through relatively easy. The second way, which will work but stinks is to actually burn the rubber part out of the middle, the heat from the rubber burning out will almost always make the bolt come right out of that frozen collar, but you need to open the doors, run a fan and even then that smell hangs around a while. you can get the rubber burning easily with a propane torch, the plus side is you can use the bolt again, I usually find that the bolts are junk from being frozen all those years (pitted and rusted) so new bolts are usually a must regardless.

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
713 Posts
I second using the sawzall. When I did this job, I backed the nuts off of the bolts and even hammering on the bolts wasn’t moving them. In some places I couldn’t get a good angle on the bolts to smash them out. Sawzall and a little hammering will save you hours of frustration. If I ever do this job on another car I probably won’t even bother trying to remove the control arm bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,238 Posts
............................ and , going back together = " Never - Seez " . . is your friend , for sure .

I Do use it for alot of nuts & bolts .............. worth every penny . . . . . (y) .

. . jim

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,238 Posts
Yes , a very good looking Nova - I like it alot .

jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts