Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install new lower ball joints on my 71, and am not sure as to how to proceed. They obviously are pressed in, but how? I thought about trying to draw them up by tightening the castle nut on the spindle, but that does not seem correct. What is the trick? Thanks for any and all replies.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
sterho said:
I thought about trying to draw them up by tightening the castle nut on the spindle, but that does not seem correct.
FYI: That will never work, you can drive around with them 3/4 in and they still will never seat all the way. (Thirty some years ago when I was a kid, I tried it.)

If you go to Autozone, they have a ball joint press tool you can borrow for free and push them in with the lower a-arms still in the car. You can also rent the tool from some places.
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/steering_suspension/ball_joint_press.htm

Option two is to take the lower a-arms off and to a machine shop and have them pressed in.

Do not beat them in or use a torch on them as you will basically destroy them and drastically shorten their life span.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts