Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started mocking up my front clip today... and the lower a arms are not fitting... I don't want to start beating on them....

looks like the bushings could be pressed in more or shifted to the outside, I haven't done anything to them yet, this is how they came...

you can see in the close up pic it's too narrow by over 1/8 inch and still needs the washer.... they don't even fit with out the washers....

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
You don't need the washers on the inside. I asked TCI why they sent them. The answer was "I don't know" You only need them on the outside. Use a rubber hammer to drive the bushings in farther so you can get them on. Hit them hard, you can't hurt them.
Tim

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
If you still can't get them on you can use a small bottle jack to spread them a little. Sometimes they will pull inward a little during the welding process.
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Or send them back TCI and have them try again. Tim's suggestions are spot on, and he certainly knows, but if you paid the money they should fit right without modification. JMO

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I figured that was what I should do... just didn't want to cause irrepaiable damage and have to dish out some more dough....

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
You should measure both the inside dimension of the control arms and the width of the mounts on the crossmember. One of them appears to be out of spec.

If the mounts on the crossmember are wider than they are supposed to be, new control arms aren't going to be any different from the ones you have now.

I would measure both parts and tell TCI what the dimensions are. You may just need to grind a little off the crossmember mounts if that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check that out and see....would really rather not have to send anything back, but I'll measure it up and give them a call...thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pass side a arm spread is 7 25/32 - 8/32 (width of two bushing lips)= 7 17/32
driv side a arm spread is 7 26/32 - 8/32 = 7 18/32

pass side frame mount width is 7 15/32
driv side frame mount width is 7 18/32

pass frame 7 15/32 ....7 17/32 arm

driv frame 7 18/32....7 18/32 arm

I might be off a 32'd or two....but either way there damn close.... I think the problem is in the gap in the bushings, those measurements are w/o including any gap, there is at least a few 32's on each bushing that I could wack/press to the outside of the a arm....on both a arms the gap is on the inside on both bushings. I didn't have time to mess with it today, just a few mins to measure.... hopefully this is all it is...

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hmmm. TCI has fallen off over the years. I also have some TCI arms, I gotta say, the welds on those arms dont even look like mine. Mine almost look machine welded, your look like a heavy handed weldor went to town, solid yes, just different. . I bought mine in 1995.

From your measurements it sounds like you will be able to squeeze them in there. They should be pretty tight.

They say no washer??? I say yes. The smaller diameter of that frame spacer is gonna eat into the edge of the poly. No doubt. You need a washer in between the spacer tube and the poly bushing. If you dont the spacer will eat the bushing end. Some serious loads are being applied right at that point in a turn. The arm wants to rotate up and over, as it does the edges of that bushing will take the twisting load. Because it is larger than the tube, the tube will focus alot of the force in a small area. Better to have the tube pushing on a washer that is the same diameter as the lip of the bushing to distribute the load instead of trying to cut into the end of the bushing. It can actually cut through the bushing end, and prolly will without a washer. The pipe will cut the bushing end, thats why you need a washer. Just my simple opinion. TCI says no. Ok. JR

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
The diameter of the tube on the TCI unit is about the same as the OD of the bushing so that is why they don't require a washer. If it will fit in I would install it but if things are too tight it can be left out. Also for anyone who has a Heidt's kit, they have a smaller OD tube and it definitely needs the inside washers for the reason the JR states.
Tim

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Hmmm. TCI has fallen off over the years. I also have some TCI arms, I gotta say, the welds on those arms dont even look like mine. Mine almost look machine welded, your look like a heavy handed weldor went to town, solid yes, just different. . I bought mine in 1995.
TCI used to tig weld everything. Now for the cheaper products (plain finish) they mig weld to save cost. when they started that they also lowered the price of the front ends.

If you order stainless arms they're tig welded.

Just thought I'd explain why your welds are nicer.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to clean up all the welds after I mock it all up, before paint.... obviosly I can't make it look like a tig weld, but I'll smooth them out some.... especially on the top of the frame parts where it shows the most

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would really trust Tims word, but call/email TCI and ask them that way you cover your but if you press them out and bend break a weld.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
TCI used to tig weld everything. Now for the cheaper products (plain finish) they mig weld to save cost. when they started that they also lowered the price of the front ends.

If you order stainless arms they're tig welded.

Just thought I'd explain why your welds are nicer.
Yup, that spains it. And yes, these are TIG welded, much better than I could do. And MIG welded arms are prolly just as strong. Just a matter of speed for the shop Im thinking these days. And the coated arms prolly need to have that pretty bead on there for the cost. IMO the diff between MIG and TIG on these mild steel tubes doesnt matter. All the same.. Thanks for the insight. JR

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finally had some time to go to my friends shop and use the press...

popped the bushing out and repressed them in so the space is on the outside of the arm.... tried to just press them in more, but that wouldn't work, had to take them all the way out and repress from the inside pushing out.

brought it back home and the driver side popped right on, snug fit, no washers either side.

passenger side still was a bit too small, but with some presuasion I was able to get it on, no washers on this one either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts