Chevy Nova Forum banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
You'd also need E85 metering blocks and the rest of the parts to truly convert. The gas metering blocks don't have the capacity to flow the required fuel that it takes for E85 so... while just rebuilding the carb with E85 parts would make it work, it will not work well at all... Just try'n to help out :) Jetting is also a big change too... just fyi.
Yeah Ive seen kits which include all the parts (e85carbs.com). It costs just as much as the carb...but...if you need it, you need it.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Yeah Ive seen kits which include all the parts (e85carbs.com). It costs just as much as the carb...but...if you need it, you need it.
Check out some carb sites like C&S and such. They will build you a custom E85 carb that's tuned for your ride specifically. Great folks and they know their business. You can also buy complete kits from them too.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Not a fan of ethanol fuel. I’m planning on running Fitch fuel catalyst in my car. I checked out the in-line units, big $. Contacted a dealer in Canada and they recommended in tank sleeves. $250 each and they recommended 2 of em. Otherwise it’s about $700 for an in-line version. Stumbled on this product in the snowmobiling world. It works.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Not a fan of ethanol fuel. I’m planning on running Fitch fuel catalyst in my car. I checked out the in-line units, big $. Contacted a dealer in Canada and they recommended in tank sleeves. $250 each and they recommended 2 of em. Otherwise it’s about $700 for an in-line version. Stumbled on this product in the snowmobiling world. It works.

Lol! When I first read that, I thought it said FiTech, not Fitch! Hahaha. I did a little snooping on that product and yeah, sounds extremely promising! Here's a link to BOBISTHEOILGUY's site with a post there from quite a few people who have good experience and understanding... And links to some solid studies on the Fitch catalyst too. Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Don't waste your money on these things. Nothing you can put in the fuel line is going to "reformulate" the fuel. They're just expensive pieces of crap.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Don't waste your money on these things. Nothing you can put in the fuel line is going to "reformulate" the fuel. They're just expensive pieces of crap.
I’ve already used them…in my snowmobile. Was really happy with this product. As I said, I’ll be running them in my car…watch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
We’re making progress again! Yesterday my dad and I got the short block pretty much assembled. Filed the rings, swapped to the extra clearance rod bearings, installed and torqued everything. Next up is getting the windage tray on along with the oil pump and pickup. Then we’ll put the oil pan on and mask everything off to paint the block. After that it should go pretty easy, I think the guide plates will be the next toughest part to install. Hopefully the 3/8” pushrods fit OK.

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Crankset Motor vehicle

FYI don’t buy nice 12 point SS ARP bolts for a cast aluminum Cloyes timing cover, they don’t fit. Even if you chuck them up in a drill and grind down the flange a fair bit. We’ll pick up some stainless socket head bolts for it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
My dad got the windage tray cleaned up yesterday and this evening opened up the splash guard that goes under the oil pump. We torqued the oil pump down and got the windage tray nuts adjusted and loc-tited in place. Then we put the cam button cover on and got it adjusted. We’re closer to ready for paint. He’ll likely get the windage tray locked down tomorrow night and ready to install the oil pan.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

Chinesium SS socket head cap screws acquired and installed.

Land vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tire Light

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Does this tool fit the crank + keyway so you can turn the engine over?
View attachment 431300
Yup, an aluminum socket with a round hole and a keyway. It fits a small block crank a little loose so it can be a universal tool. A bolt in the crank works too but if you try and rotate the engine backwards it can back off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Baby steps.

Dipstick guide tube is in, oil pan is on, and the ATI damper is installed. We mocked up the alternator for S’s and giggles, looks like it needs to be spaced out a little but nothing a washer or two won’t fix. We need to get longer bolts for the pulley though, 3/8x 1-1/2 coarse. I’m going to see if I can get a 12 point SS ARP bolt to match what I have going on most other places but if they cost too much or aren’t in stock easy it’s going to get grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. Either option will be nicer than what came with the alternator.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Audio equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Vehicle brake Automotive design

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup, an aluminum socket with a round hole and a keyway. It fits a small block crank a little loose so it can be a universal tool. A bolt in the crank works too but if you try and rotate the engine backwards it can back off.
Do you know the manufacturer?

161 - 180 of 195 Posts