141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,244 Posts
Electrical tape - a mechanics BandAid.
BTDT many times.
Ha! Same here!
I found the trick was to first put a regular bandaid on the cut... and then wrap some electrical tape around the bandaid. This helps keep the black sticky crap (from the electrical tape) off your fingers.

Plus, this “mechanic’s bandage” would last all day working in the garage (unlike a bandaid alone... that wouldn’t last for more then couple minutes).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I started noticing assembly lube in strange places, everywhere my thumb touched. Wait a minute that’s too runny to be assembly lube...

Today we’ve got some clearancing to do on the block, the rod bolts don’t quite clear. The machine shop opened up the pan rail a little bit for us but he was off a little bit. Hopefully that goes quick then we can get back to assembly and checking valve to piston clearance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Took a couple tries but we got the block clearanced for the crank/ rods, the machine shop did a great job on all but two spots. The grinding was easier than I expected but it left a mess in the block. And we got to clean it twice because I didn’t take enough out the first go. After everything cleared we got the cam in and degreed it. Now on to rod bearings and piston to valve clearance. We had one pair of stock rod bearings but now we have to order the real deal.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
This weekend we did some more clearance checking. Took quite a while and we had to knock a little off a few rod bolts. I don't think we've F'd up the balance much so we're going to run with it. Took a lot of pictures like this:
Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior

After we got adequate clearance between the rods and the cam we checked piston to valve clearance and got a measurement for pushrods. Racetec made us plenty big valve pockets and we had no issues with PTV clearance. A 7.90" pushrod will work for both the intake and the exhaust so I got those ordered along with extra clearance rod bearings. The rod bearing clearance was a little tight so half of a .001" extra clearance shell along with a standard shell should put us just under .0025" which I'll be happy with. I didn't like it under .002" for our application.

The progress continues. Next we start filing rings to fit then we can get the short block assembled. Although we should probably work on getting the block painted before that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
At least you know your not leaving anything on the table, as far as displacement. Maxed-out!
I'm also confident that our rods are plenty beefy for anything I can throw at it. Pretty sure our factory block is the weak point, but at least it has aftermarket mains and is partly filled with hardblock. Hopefully it lives for a while.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
I'm also confident that our rods are plenty beefy for anything I can throw at it. Pretty sure our factory block is the weak point, but at least it has aftermarket mains and is partly filled with hardblock. Hopefully it lives for a while.
cant wait to see (and hear) it in action! You working on a deadline? Going to be racing this summer I bet.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
No deadline per say, but we've got most of the big stuff here already and the driveshaft is on it's way. I'm thinking we'll at least get the engine on a run stand and check for leaks in early Jan. After we get the engine and trans in we have some more wiring to do under the hood and we have to finish up the fuel system from the pump outlet to the carb. Getting the exhaust on it will be another adventure.

I bought some pipe pie cuts to practice welding with my dad's tig but I have next to zero experience with it. I'm hoping we can put together a stainless x-pipe setup but I'm not sure we can make it fit with the driveshaft loop and the trans crossmember. We may have to go back with a crossover pipe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you expect really high static compression at 13.5:1 or are you playing tricks with the cam to keep the cylinder pressure down? Are you going to run race fuel only?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Yeah, good move. Did you get an E85 compatible carb or are you running an EFI system?
I bought a pro systems E85 carb for it should be about an 850cfm, 780 wet flow.

Circuit component Automotive tire Audio equipment Capacitor Gas

I have to drive a bit to get E85, but I'd have to drive even farther to get race fuel. We'll try the E85 and hopefully it will work out well, I'm mainly concerned with carb issues from the ethanol but I think if we run it regularly it wont be an issue. We still have our old HP750 we can throw on in the winter with 5 gallons of race fuel for storage.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
@xxdabroxx Check this out! I've been trying to wrap my head around how these additives consider themselves legitimate. I love this guy and all his experiments:

Great if you're trying to decide on an additive...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought a pro systems E85 carb for it should be about an 850cfm, 780 wet flow.

View attachment 430197

I have to drive a bit to get E85, but I'd have to drive even farther to get race fuel. We'll try the E85 and hopefully it will work out well, I'm mainly concerned with carb issues from the ethanol but I think if we run it regularly it wont be an issue. We still have our old HP750 we can throw on in the winter with 5 gallons of race fuel for storage.
Looks awesome. I am trying to avoid E85, but that might be where I will have to go if things dont work out with my new setup. I just bought a Holley 4160 so I would just get a rebuild kit to go E85. Are you running the stock steel fuel tank?

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Looks awesome. I am trying to avoid E85, but that might be where I will have to go if things dont work out with my new setup. I just bought a Holley 4160 so I would just get a rebuild kit to go E85. Are you running the stock steel fuel tank?
You'd also need E85 metering blocks and the rest of the parts to truly convert. The gas metering blocks don't have the capacity to flow the required fuel that it takes for E85 so... while just rebuilding the carb with E85 parts would make it work, it will not work well at all... Just try'n to help out :) Jetting is also a big change too... just fyi.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts