Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Something new this weekend. Rust repair. We decided to replace the lower section of the passenger quarter panel that had a couple rust holes. It seems like this quarter has been replaced in the past at some point, there was a fair bit of bondo on it and a nova marker light hole is patched on this side but does not exist on the driver side. All in all it came out OK, it will take a bit of bondo to smooth out but we'll work on that in the coming days/ weeks.

Found 2 live 12ga shotgun shells (glad I didn't hit them with the cut off wheel) a couple of darts, a socket and a lot of rust and dirt.

416481


416482


416483


416484


416485
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I forgot to mention, when I was at the machine shop last week checking on the engine progress the owner told me he found someone to sell my old rotating assembly to. Apparently it's going back in an Olds Omega with a small block chevy. I didn't know there where two omega's in town, I'll have to try and get in touch with him somehow. I thought it was a crazy coincidence that my same rotating assembly was going in another olds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Doesn't seem like we got a lot done this weekend but we brought the front wheels back to life and got the new tires mounted up. We also made some more progress on the patch panel in the back but I didn't take in pictures of it.

416867
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Progress on the car has slowed a bit but it hasn't stopped. I don't have any great progress pictures but we go longer wheel studs for the front wheels. So we had to take the rotors back off and press them in. In the rear we've pulled the axles and center section. Once we started measuring we decided against running our current third member and my dad ordered a new aluminum through bolt Yukon center section with 4.56 gears, spool, and matching 35 spline axles from quick performance. It will probably be another 4 weeks or so before we get them though.

I've since ordered a pair of 17" Kirkey racing seats and brackets but they seem to be a few weeks out as well.

I've also got a quart of high temp cerakote to paint the headers with after we get the O2 bungs welded in. Soon coming we'll blast the headers, weld in the bungs, and spray them with the cerakote. I tested one of the samples I ordered with a propane torch and it seems to hold up really well to high heat. I'm excited to be done with the header wraps for good. I've been cut countless times on the clamps while changing spark plugs.

In other news I went to Famoso raceway this weekend for the day. We watched our friends race and can't wait to get back out there ourselves.

418423


418424


418425


418426
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This weekend's project was restoring our headers. I ordered Glacier Titanium Cerakote to paint the headers with, take my word for it 1 quart is way more than you need. I think we'll have enough left over to do the entire exhaust once we get it built.

Started off the morning with some sandblasting. Play sand works ok but it takes forever with a small sandblaster like this. It also really gave my dad's air compressor a workout but it survived the weekend.

418776


418777


418778


418779


418780


Towards the end of the blasting session we were running out of sand so we emptied the old blast cabinet out into a bucket. It had 100 grit aluminum oxide from cerakoting guns in the past. This made for a much better surface finish but it wasn't as aggressive at removing what paint was still on the headers. It was great at rust though.

418781


My dad hosed down the headers with acetone out of the old suction spray gun. We were afraid to wipe them down with anything and get them full of lint.

418782


And DONE! Overall the Cerakote sprayed really nice. It flashes off super quick so you don't have to worry about runs. After about a half hour I went back and put a second light coat on them focusing on the show sides. I think a lighter coat has a nicer surface finish once dry. The metallic doesn't look right when you lay it on too thick.

418783


418784


I'm super happy with how it came out, they look like brand new headers. This was the easiest Cerakote I've used too as there was no hardener to mix, no oven cure, and no reducing necessary. It cleaned up really well with acetone too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
those headers look fantastic--great work and great info.

BTW, the wheels on that Chevelle look awesome.

anyway, keep up the great work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
those headers look fantastic--great work and great info.

BTW, the wheels on that Chevelle look awesome.

anyway, keep up the great work!
Thanks, I was REALLY happy with how well they cleaned up.

Stacy (red racing jacket) the owner/ driver of the chevelle spent some serious coin on those wheels and they are killer. She’s a hell of a driver too, she’s got a Wally. I can only dream of winning a Wally. Her husband Scott has offered to let me drive his supercomp dragster. It runs 7’s at 170 something. I need to get a driving suit then I’d like to take him up on the offer to get my license. It would be pretty awesome to drive something that traps over 170 in the quarter.
 
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Top