Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought i rebuilt 250 l6 shortblock from my local kragen auto store.i've broken the engine in.now when i start the car,when cold at idle it has about 30 psi as it gets to operating temp the pressure goes down to about 10psi in park,then when i put it in drive it drops down to around 2-3psi at idle.when driving it holds steady around 27psi.
the motor has 5 qts of oil.
i have one of those cheap($50) set of 3 guages.do you think it might be the guage or is there something wrong in the motor.
it's wierd that the pressure would drop when i go from park to drive.with the car in park and at idle,when i rev the motor the oil pressure goes up with the rpms.it will get as high as 35 psi.

let me here you opinion.thanks

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
The reason the pressure drops when going from park to drive is the drop in RPM when it is in gear. It is probably not the gauge since it reads good pressure when cold. It sounds like excess bearing clearances to me.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason the pressure drops when going from park to drive is the drop in RPM when it is in gear. It is probably not the gauge since it reads good pressure when cold. It sounds like excess bearing clearances to me.
i was hoping it wouldn't be motor related.it only has break-in time and about 10 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts