Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know this has been asked a million times but what is a good front replacement tubular kit for the 63 ss? Something for a streetcar no more than 350hp, that has base disc brakes and won't break the bank under 3k. I see Heidts and other options but if anyone has experience with Heidts or the eBay stuff please let us know your opinion. TCI is out of the budget and other stuff. Possibly gonna be doing a Vortec LS swap too.

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but your front end is really not an area I would put budget anything on, I have on occasion skimped on a part or 2 but anything involving my front end is not one. I'd personally shy away from any of the ebay stuff as you have no idea of the quality of the steel, welds, ball joints ect. Maybe check out Church Boys or some of the other vendors many people on this site recommend. I've used Church Boys and Martz and have been very happy with the products both offer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with bruinfan, I will eventually put my family in my car so safety is important. I know stuff gets expensive but if you are looking for the cheaper option but still need to keep the price down, look at a MII front clip. I forget who here on SNS built a great ride using a MII which according to him was just an old design TCI clip. His turned out really nice and he didnt spend very much for the clip. I may be wrong but i think it was under $1k for just the clip. If i can find him, i'll post the link. Good luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am using as a base the cpp setup... it appears to be similar to the older design TCI setup (so im told)... I have upgraded this and that on it... If you dont care to run coilovers and you end up going that route... you can get the main frame section and piece together your arms etc... I actually have new shocks, lower arms, springs (the cpp stuff) that i am going to list for sale at some point (at a savings to someone wanting to do this in a less expensive way, then buying a complete kit).. .. i went with coilovers lower arms and viking coilovers...

havent ran anything yet... im still modding and fitting things... but so far so good... im also not afraid to cut and re weld things, etc (though if used as is, the kit did not require welding)... but as is, seems to be well made...

with a few more things hanging off of it... (I used ChrisAlstons Fender/hinge supports and then modified the cpp inners to work with them... i did not like the CPP inner fender and hinge bracket setup)

the main frame section (fully welded and bolt on) and adj down bars are fairly inexpensive... then you could find/source your own suspension parts if you wanted to... but i did start with a full kit, which was still inexpensive (but I received it as a gift)... i think the frame and down bars by themselves are around $500, but i cant remember... the entire kit is under $2000, i believe. if i would have purchased the setup, i would have just bought the frame and went from there... but i like to make parts, etc... .

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,812 Posts
Just like the clip above if you enjoy welding and want coilover front shocks and springs Checkered Racing makes an affordable kit. I have modified mine but that's what I started with.....
IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0978.JPG

·
Registered
355 Posts
I also used a Checkered Racing complete package front end. Kit needs some pieces welded, and since I'm not a good welder, I mocked it all up, tack welded the pieces, and took them to a welder. I've had no problems with this set up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hello,
I know this has been asked a million times but what is a good front replacement tubular kit for the 63 ss? Something for a streetcar no more than 350hp, that has base disc brakes and won't break the bank under 3k. I see Heidts and other options but if anyone has experience with Heidts or the eBay stuff please let us know your opinion. TCI is out of the budget and other stuff. Possibly gonna be doing a Vortec LS swap too.

Thanks, Ryan
You may check out Speedway Motors. I bought a kit from them fully welded and had several different options for brakes and control arms rack and pinions and basically everything needed with exception to brake lines. I did them myself from the parts stores. I think I had about $2000 in the kit. It worked great and they were great to work with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts