Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had it up high enough, if it was only 11' above high tide it would have been OK.....but Sandy supprised us with 15+ feet of water. This is nothing to the people who lost their homes and those who lost their lives....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Thought I had it up high enough, if it was only 11' above high tide it would have been OK.....but Sandy supprised us with 15+ feet of water. This is nothing to the people who lost their homes and those who lost their lives....
sorry to hear that that realy sucks certainly not something you could ever dream up:( why does it always have a women involved

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ouch, that is really a bummer. Is it going to be salvageable? I guess salt water isnt really friendly to cars.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Pete,
Are you going to be able to save it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
If any of you guys watch American Chopper you know what that water does to mechanicals. I am terribly sorry to hear/see that. I hope your friends an family are ok.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I know that its at the bottom of rocker panel(s) ..... :eek:

Might be a chance to save it from the looks of it ( I hope that Im right )

If it went higher, just have to know at high it went ....

If it went higher the instrument cluster, its a goner :(

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think you can save it, the interior and electronics may need swapped, but don't scrap it. The most important thing is to make sure you get any salt off it right away. A clean water rinse should at least keep some of the damage from the sheetmetal.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
follow up

I pushed it out on the driveway to assist in cleaning out the rest of the garage. Electronics probably all gone so I sold it to the insurance co. 1 day after sending in the title a heating and cooling truck pulled up in front of the house. I thought it was someone offering their rebuild services but as it turned out, the guy (~apprx. 25) wanted to know if it was for sale. I told him I nad just sent the title in....we talked about 10minutes more when I realized that he had been looking for one for awhile. I went inside and fount the cars registration which listed the insurance co and the serial # and told him to call them. He walked back to his truck with pphone in hand........

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
That just blows!

Hope some one can save it.

Sorry to hear that you lost it, hope the rest of you possessions are in better shape along with your family!

Sandy was a "B"

Mark

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
You could have kept and rebuilt it IF the water only got as high as it appears in the photo provided. :yes:

Insurance company's policy is that if water reaches the bottom of the doors, the car is to be deemed a "total loss". They do this so that "they" don't have to deal with it! "It" being a "supplement" for additional damage that may be found or arise after the initial damage appraisal. If a vehicle is not a total loss prior to repairs a supplement could put it over the top, so in the event of a flood or roll over the company will total a vehicle.

Based on your photo there is almost nothing electrical and very little mechanical that would have been effected by the flood. Now if the water was halfway up the doors then that would be another story.

·
Registered
276 Posts
FWIW I know of vintage vehicle that went off a ferry loading ramp, completely into the salty sea it was recovered right away, eventually restored and still on the road cruising around.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
FWIW I know of vintage vehicle that went off a ferry loading ramp, completely into the salty sea it was recovered right away, sold, restored and still on the road cruising around.
I guess it shouldn't have been in the hands of a "ferry". :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts