Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 chevyII put a new ignition switch in 3 months ago. Worked fine until yesterday. Have 12 volts at acc and when I turn to start position the volts drop to 0 and the radio goes dead. Checked all grounds,have lights,the motor turns over but doesn't start. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring is correct. While inspection of the plug in the back of the switch the double brown wire has come loose and doesn't want to stay put. I think I'm going to need a new black plastic plug. Hopefully this is the problem with the voltage dropping to 0.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked all grounds and all are good. Purchased new switch connector installed and still voltage drops to 0. Has HEI distributor but no voltage to it. Motor does crank over but doesn't start.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Do you have a wire from the R terminal on your starter to the coil positive terminal? On the older cars this is the way the coil is powered during the start cycle.
Do you have 12v to your ignition in the 'run' position?

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I just went throu8gh this same scenario , I found bad connectors causing a voltage drop to the solenoid start terminal , fixed it now I have a full 12v to the starter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was getting 12 volt to HEI from the keyed 12v. Checked volts from red battery wire to the ignition switch to all of the terminals on the ignition switch and all read 12.5 volts. When I went from red wire to the ground terminal it read .46 volts. It appears that maybe there might be a bad ground to the back of the ignition switch. Finally gave up and towed it to the local garage. Thanks for all the responses.

·
6,498 Posts
Was getting 12 volt to HEI from the keyed 12v. Checked volts from red battery wire to the ignition switch to all of the terminals on the ignition switch and all read 12.5 volts. When I went from red wire to the ground terminal it read .46 volts. It appears that maybe there might be a bad ground to the back of the ignition switch. Finally gave up and towed it to the local garage. Thanks for all the responses.
Hopefully the local garage can figure it out. I know on my daily driver I now know more about cam timing and cam gear sensor timing than I should on my 97 Ford and it only took the local garage 3 times to get it right.

Post back what the repair shop found. I know on my deal with a broken timing belt they insisted that there were other issues only for me to show them with snap shots from an inspection camera that they had the timing marks aligned wrong.

For your info, an ungrounded switch will have NO affect on something getting power in the basic setup on a 65 Nova. It's like saying an ungrounded light switch in your house will not send power to a light.

As far as you checking volts from the red battery wire to all of the terminals on the switch and they all read 12.4V, something is not being done right.

IF this is true that you have 12V on all of the terminals on the switch, disconnect the battery and have it towed to the local shop with the battery disconnected. If there is an issue with either a short or the battery being drained, it's better to have is disconnected unless you want to do an insurance claim if it burns down.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts