Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aftermarket driver's side mirror was getting pretty loose, and I was about to spend $40 on a replacement until I found this thread. This is an easy fix that takes less than an hour of actual work.

1. Remove outside mirror. My '71 had one screw holding it to the door bracket.
2. Place mirror face-down in a shallow bowl of gasoline, acetone or lacquer thinner. Let sit overnight. I used gasoline.
3. The mirror should fall right out of the frame, esposing the ball and socket cover.
4. I'm not sure about OEM, but many aftermarket mirrors have a socket cover that screws in. I applied blue Loctite to the scews and tightened them up.
4b. OPTIONAL: Use some chrome polish to easily clean up the mirror while it's off.
5. Apply new mirror adhesive, let sit, and reinstall.

I've seen mention of a compound you can apply to the ball, but this is an easy enough and likely more permanent fix. See attachments for reference photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sure, now you tell me...

Wish i would have read this yesterday when I had two side view mirrors. Had the right one fall off today on the freeway. The entire mirror and backing fell out of the bracket....
Guess i am looking for a replacement for one or both...

·
Registered
29 Posts
mirror

I looked at my loose mirror on my chevelle and my looked like my bracket was heated up and pressed on. I ground the metal until the bracket fell of. Then drilled and tapped it put it back on and it works good also the mirror was held in with a clip thanks for the info to fix it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts