Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have an original/low mileage '64 Nova with the 230 cubic inch straight 6. The car is in excellent condition, but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to diagnosing/fixing issues on my own - Oil changes are about the current extent of my knowledge. I have a reputable mechanic but would prefer to learn as I go and also have an understanding of any problems before taking it in to the shop, if necessary.

Anyways, I was pulling out of Home Depot last weekend and a guy walking by mentions that it sounds like I might need a valve job. I suppose I can hear a slight pinging/knocking, but I'm not sure what exactly the issue is or how soon it should be addressed. Art over at Novas.net mentioned it may be loose rocker arms? If anyone wants to take a minute to check out the video and share your thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/sVdDgj0zjZE

What do you think the issue is (if any)?

Here's a few pictures of the car - Have a great holiday weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Could use an adjustment. Only other thing to worry about it a wiped cam lobe thanks to the epa Nazis

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
That is a super nice 64 that you are driving.

Using a stethoscope could possibly help you identify the source of the noise.

I have a inline 250 with a similar but louder noise. I know its a valve issue but it runs so good, I have been ignoring it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a super nice 64 that you are driving.

Using a stethoscope could possibly help you identify the source of the noise.

I have a inline 250 with a similar but louder noise. I know its a valve issue but it runs so good, I have been ignoring it.
Thanks onecarnut, that's a good tip. Glad you like it - smiles for miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,103 Posts
Beautiful '64, really like the color and originality. 14's, and the 230 with the chrome dress up kit really looks great.

I have the same sound in my convertible. I'm not blowing any smoke, but it has that loose noisy tappet sound when it idles, especially when warm. It also misses a little like yours, but not enough to chuck the engine just yet.

You can try a valve adjustment by the procedure in the shop manual. You might have some blockage in a lifter or a gummy lifter which could be preventing oil pressure in that lifter bore or lifter. Personally, I think mine is a flattened cam lobe, and I'm getting another engine ready to swap in there to pull out the one with the valve noise.

As far as the EPA is concerned, and more importantly, the Clean Air Act of 1968, you can thank them for both cleaner air, millions of tons less lead in our environment, and, eventually, 400 HP engines that are smog compliant. I'm willing to replace some valve train on a 54 year old car if the lead is gone and the air clearer.

·
Super Moderator
4,103 Posts
True that. And a Nova I6 can be rebuilt with upgraded valves, guides, valve seats to deal with the absence of lead. The EPA isn't responsible for a flattened cam lobe. Some good posts here on SNS about which over the counter oil has the most zinc in it by ppm, and the ratings of top engine lubricants.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautiful '64, really like the color and originality. 14's, and the 230 with the chrome dress up kit really looks great.

I have the same sound in my convertible. I'm not blowing any smoke, but it has that loose noisy tappet sound when it idles, especially when warm. It also misses a little like yours, but not enough to chuck the engine just yet.

You can try a valve adjustment by the procedure in the shop manual. You might have some blockage in a lifter or a gummy lifter which could be preventing oil pressure in that lifter bore or lifter. Personally, I think mine is a flattened cam lobe, and I'm getting another engine ready to swap in there to pull out the one with the valve noise.

As far as the EPA is concerned, and more importantly, the Clean Air Act of 1968, you can thank them for both cleaner air, millions of tons less lead in our environment, and, eventually, 400 HP engines that are smog compliant. I'm willing to replace some valve train on a 54 year old car if the lead is gone and the air clearer.
Thanks AllyMcReal, really appreciate the compliment and thoughtful input. I do love the originality and would never modify this particular car. It was a long search but exactly what I was looking for and has been a great introduction into classic car ownership. I will say though that now my hat's officially in the ring I'd love to own a modified '67 2 dr at some point.

Sounds like a consensus that a valve adjustment is the place to start. I don't blow smoke either and she runs like a sewing machine, it's really hard to hear unless I'm stopped. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts