Chevy Nova Forum banner

Loose kickdown cable on TH 350 question

2510 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  sevenzeronova
Since I got my car back from a professional manifold/carb install (Holley S/A) I've gotten the sense that the car is not automatically downshifting "as requested". Looked at the kickdown/detent cable at the carb and noticed that the nut/bolt used to adjust the cable is loose and not tightened down at a specific adjustment point.

Sounds stupid, but shouldn't this be tightened down somewhere along the slot and not allowed to run to the end of the slot before pulling?

Thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Yes it should be bolted down ! They must have forgot that part of the install?
Since I got my car back from a professional manifold/carb install (Holley S/A) I've gotten the sense that the car is not automatically downshifting "as requested". Looked at the kickdown/detent cable at the carb and noticed that the nut/bolt used to adjust the cable is loose and not tightened down at a specific adjustment point.

Sounds stupid, but shouldn't this be tightened down somewhere along the slot and not allowed to run to the end of the slot before pulling?

Thanks!
well the slot is used so it can travel without swinging around. the adjustment should come from the bracket. You can play with the kickdown adjustment. If its still the stock bracket on the new carb. Then you need an adjustable Throttle/Kickdown cable bracket.
are you talking about the slot on the end of the cable or on the bracket
Thanks for the quick answers but still a little confused. Here is a picture that should help.

The cable can move freely back and forth across the slot right now, it is not "set" or tightened at any given point. Is this correct, or do I need to lockdown the position somewhere else in that open slot to get the passing gear to engage?

Thanks!

See less See more
That is suppose to move freely. The bracket that hold the entire cable/jacket is what I thought was loose.
Most use the kickdown stud for the cable slide. Looks like this

See less See more
Thank you for the answer.

So, is there a way that I could adjust the cable so that it kicks down sooner (if at all)?
The cable housing has a little plastic tab that can be pulled up.
Engine off, pull tab up, bring carb linkage to wide open,push tab back down then let go of linkage. This should make it kick down properly.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.