Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fix my doors on my 74 as they are pretty sloppy.They have alot of play up and down. Is it better to try to repair them or look for newer hinges. Some friends told me that I could get new pins for them . But I have not been too successful in finding them. Any info on installation and availability on the parts would be great. I do most of my work by myself and I ain't getting younger or stronger so any tricks on lifting or jacking the doors to do this would help alot.
Thanks
Old man Lance:confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think your hinges are welded on. So you would be better off just to replace the pins and bushings in them. The catalogs sell the repair kits.

·
6,561 Posts
Chances are the bushings are worn out. It's possible the pins and/or the holes are also worn out but this normally happens after the bushings are worn completely through and the pin then contacts the hinge and the rubbing of those two together make the hinge assembly more loose.
The bushings can be bought at the local Autozone in the Help section. I'll look later and see if I have any packages left but inside the package are a selection of bushings that some will not be used. It seems to me they also had replacement pins in the same section but they have to be trimmed down in length as they are too long and prevent them from being used in the upper hinge location due to the curvature of the door as they come out of the package. You can use the original one to trim the longer one down to length and use it as a template. The only thing is you cannot reuse the C clip but it is not necessary. The location of the upper hinge and how the door structure curves in makes it a tight fit to remove and replace that one and that's why the ones that are too long need to be shortened.
It's pretty straight forward to replace the bushings and all I have used to hold the door up is a floor jack and a 2x4. The original pins on my 1974 had C clips on the bottom of the pins that had to come off before the pins could be driven upward and out of the hinge assembly.
Another tool you will need is either a spring compressor or a vise and some bailing wire to put the lower hinge spring back in.
If you do find that a hole on the hinge that the bushing fits into is elongated a person might be able to weld the hole up and redrill it but I've never tried that. If the hinges do need replacing you could modify the side of the cowl and the door to accept the older bolt on style. In the factory shop manual it covers how to replace the welded on hinges with new ones.
If you want to, call me and I can give you a hand.
Jim

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About those doors.

Thanks for the info I will look for the parts today and get back to you asap. I will let you know the amount of wear on those puppys.
Lance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts