Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the front passenger side the brake pad on the opposite side of the piston seems to be rubbin the wheel hub when I spin the rotor. I can move it with my hand like there is slack. The dirvers side is fine and both pads are tight. I just bench bled the master cylinder and pressed the brake pedal enough times to check for leaks on all the fittings. Would bleeding the brakes tighten the loose brake pad? I took the caliper off 2x to make sure the pads were seated on the caliper right.

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out that on both calipers that the flex hose connects to it with the bolt are both leaking. I have a copper washer on both sides and they still leak, this is with the CPP disc brake kit.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's in the nature of calipers with pistons only on a single side to occasionally drag the outer pad on the rotor. That's due to the floating design of the caliper. I would suggest cleaning and re-greasings the slide pins that secure the caliper to the abutment (mounting bracket).

Bleeding the brakes should not have an effect except when the pedal is depressed. That's a separate issue you need to fix.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried some new copper washers and they both still leak at the caliper where the bottom washer is on the flex hose. The bolt is straight and its always tight but somehow manages to only leak at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I found out that on both calipers that the flex hose connects to it with the bolt are both leaking. I have a copper washer on both sides and they still leak, this is with the CPP disc brake kit.
I feel your pain. I had similar problems with my CPP calipers. I had to take a dremal and trim part of the caliper next to the mating surface. Their Chinses suppliers do not appear to properly machine the entire surface area where the banjo fitting goes.

As far as the loose pad, a little movement (1/16 inch) is normal and will probably tighten down when you fix the leak. The loose banjo bolt is allowing air in the caliper.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I grinded some on both sides of the caliper near the surface on the passenger side, the drivers side looks good. I bleed the brakes and so far no leaks that I see and have a nice stiff pedal, once I get the car running then i'll have to see how things go.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it running no leaks from the calipers, just need to lube up the pins for the pads.

Is it necessary to get a front end alignment done after doing a drum to disc brake swap? Haven't drove it yet cause of a steering box leak.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you changed the spindles, you should have it checked. If you didn't change the spindles, then it should be ok. I'm glad to here they just needed a little grinding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts