Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping for some experts to give their 2 cents on what I'm not seeing.
I'm about to pull a big trigger on a car I have been looking for for 10 years.
I believe its a correct L79 Chevy 11 100 sedan, rubber mat car.. Here's what I have checked:
Cowell tag appears not to have been removed, Info with regards to production date, colors, V8, body style, options all agree with what the car has.
Vin# includes correct body style, V8, Willow Run, and 6 numbers of the Vin. These same vin numbers appear on the hidden numbers behind the front fender and inside on the 2 lips under the trunk hood.
The block number date on the rear of the engine is a month before the engine assembly date.
Front engine stamping numbers- There are 2 sets of numbers. The far right number which has the assembly date 2 weeks ahead of the car build date and the ZI stamp for the 327/350 4 speed.
The first set of numbers is what I have question about. The info is OK such as year, Willow Run and 6 numbers of the vin.
But the stamping is much bolder and more pronounced. Thats my concern.
Im hoping that the stamping is done a different times of production by different people and machines. Once when the engine is assemble and then when it goes into the car and gets a vin number.
Besides the dealer paperwork and the engine stamping is there any other markings that identifies the car as a L79 and not a lower horse power 327? Not including, fuel lines, carbs or rear end.
Thanks for any help
Just trying to be sure.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I think "different people ; using different stamps" ; maybe one number stamped (like at ) Fisher Body , and , Flint Motors
then the 'other number' stamped closer on the 'assembly line' (when - or - just before engine install) . . . . . (like on the assembly line) .
would account for the two different 'stamping styles' . . . . . if that helps .

# 1 - - on my 69 motor (still in my car) ; uses two different stamps ; 1 - for engine ID numbers - -
. . . . . 2 - for cars "Vin Number" , for matching car .

my 69 Nova vin #

# 2 - - my 'engine ID number ; with matching Vin # ' . showing the different 'stamp styles' .

ps - - I have another (250 - 6 ) motor with similar stamps . . . from a 68 Chevelle . . . in my
53 IH p/u ; with two different stamping styles .

But, that's 51 years ago . . . and GM assembly lines . . . 'stranged things happened back then' .

. . . . . later , jim

·
13,698 Posts
Hey Mr. Veyron, welcome to the site. Sounds like a great car you're looking at.

Here's the deal on the front engine pad stamps. The two stamps were done in different times and in different places. The suffix code (the one ending in ZI) is the assembly date
and application code stamped at the Flint, Michigan, engine plant. This was gang stamped (letters number placed in a holder). The 2nd number is the VIN which should match paperwork and the drivers side door jamb plate. It was stamped on the Chevrolet assembly line after the engine was in the car. Each number/letter was stamped individually and that's why it probably isn't evenly done.
If it is evenly done, that's a red flag.

I believe you stated that both cowl tag and VIN plate indicate the car was a V/8 (411). That's good. Does the cowl tag indicate a 4 speed? An L79 will also have factory dual exhausts. Other than original paperwork, POP, owner statements, etc. there is really no way to tell if an L79 is real (unless it's a Canadian car). Sounds like you're doing a good job of checking off the boxes to make sure you're getting the real thing. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think "different people ; using different stamps" ; maybe one number stamped (like at ) Fisher Body , and , Flint Motors
then the 'other number' stamped closer on the 'assembly line' (when - or - just before engine install) . . . . . (like on the assembly line) .
would account for the two different 'stamping styles' . . . . . if that helps .

# 1 - - on my 69 motor (still in my car) ; uses two different stamps ; 1 - for engine ID numbers - -
. . . . . 2 - for cars "Vin Number" , for matching car .

my 69 Nova vin #

# 2 - - my 'engine ID number ; with matching Vin # ' . showing the different 'stamp styles' .

ps - - I have another (250 - 6 ) motor with similar stamps . . . from a 68 Chevelle . . . in my
53 IH p/u ; with two different stamping styles .

But, that's 51 years ago . . . and GM assembly lines . . . 'stranged things happened back then' .

. . . . . later , jim
Bob,
I was hoping you would respond after seeing your many responses to questions on this board on this subject.
Yes, the cowell tag has the options on the last line listed as "2HL" ( heater delete 4 speed).
While I have you, why on the first line of the cowell tag they list the sheet metal color? In this case its "D" red, but the car is red "CC". Is this the interior metal dash and upper door panels?
Thank you .
Steve

·
13,698 Posts
Wow, a real code 'H' heater delete. Most cars called 'heater delete' have just had the standard equipment heater taken out. The heater delete also is more evidence it's a real L79 and somebody factory ordered it with this option. Very few Chevy IIs, other than L79, had the heater deleted.

Yes they used different codes for interior sheet metal. 'D' is red for 1966.

Hope to see some pictures of this beauty, Steve.

Bob

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
|​
|​
|​
My 1976 Nova SS
NovaResource

1966 VIN Codes
This site is best viewed in 1024x768 resolution.​
Scott's Nova Resource Site
[TD]1962 | 1963 | 1964 | 1965 | 1966 | 1967 | 1968 | 1969 | 1970 | 1971 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1975 | 1976 | 1977 | 1978 | 1979
EXAMPLE:
VIN

[TH]Digit 1
GM Division
[/TH]
[TH]Digits 2 and 3
Model Series
[/TH]
[TH]Digits 4 and 5
Body Style
[/TH]
[TH]Digit 6
Model Year
[/TH]
[TH]Digit 7
Assembly Plant
[/TH]
[TH]Digits 8 thru 13
Production Sequence #
[/TH]​
[TD]1 = Chevrolet​

[TD]11 = Chevy II 100, L4
13 = Chevy II 100, L6
14 = Chevy II 100, V8
15 = Chevy II 400, Nova, L6
16 = Chevy II 400, Nova, V8
17 = Chevy II Nova SS, L6
18 = Chevy II Nova SS, V8[/TD]

[TD]11 = 2 door sedan
35 = 4 door wagon
37 = 2 door coupe
69 = 4 door sedan[/TD]

[TD]6 = 1966[/TD]

[TD]N = Norwood, OH
O = Oshawa, ON, Canada
W = Willow Run, MI[/TD]

[TD]Starts at 100001[/TD]​
[/TD]
[/TD]

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts

·
13,698 Posts
The VIN on the 1966 L79 Mr. Veyron is looking at is a 114. Matches the cowl tag and hidden VIN. Cowl tag has the 'H' code for heater delete. Rare to find a real
heater delete and pretty solid evidence the car is a factory L79.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,
I was hoping you would respond after seeing your many responses to questions on this board on this subject.
Yes, the cowell tag has the options on the last line listed as "2HL" ( heater delete 4 speed).
While I have you, why on the first line of the cowell tag they list the sheet metal color? In this case its "D" red, but the car is red "CC". Is this the interior metal dash and upper door panels?
Thank you .
Steve
Sorry the car is ermine white "CC" not red as I misspoke in my last post.
The VIN on the 1966 L79 Mr. Veyron is looking at is a 114. Matches the cowl tag and hidden VIN. Cowl tag has the 'H' code for heater delete. Rare to find a real
heater delete and pretty solid evidence the car is a factory L79.

Bob
Bob,
Exactly.
I’ll be checking the carb and distributor later this week. All the major numbers and codes check out. I can deal with the small items.
I was lucky to find the car. An elder man has owned the car for many years and decided to move on. Some original paperwork and a number of national awards. Amazing condition.
I’ll try and send some pics later in the week.
S

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
That is the dash VIN tag Twinshadows posted as an example from his '69.
Thank you, Adam . . . . as I was just trying too show the stamp & style lay-out that they were using .

(and, correct = my 69 IS Still with my 250 - 6 motor . . . . . not trying too 'clone anything' ). . . . . . . lol

later ,
jim

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Exciting car to find. Somebody clearly bought it to go racing, as they picked the lightest model and the most powerful mill. Only a handful made that way, and a really welcome alternative to the beautiful, but more common '66 SS L79 cars. I always wondered why some racers chose the heavier but 1 1/2 inch lower roofline of a hardtop over a lighter, higher greenhouse sedan, and wondered if there was a decided advantage either way. I understand a number of heater delete cars were sold in Hawaii as the heater was not often needed, money could be saved, and the law did not require a heater in the car in the early-mid '60's. I've seen a few Hawaiian cars equipped that way that weren't racers or L79 cars, or at least weren't intended to be from new. Incidentally, the '66 SS that Bill Thomas turned into Dickie Harrell's 'Nickey Nova" was ordered and delivered as a red 4-speed SS with 283 and heater delete before it was promptly relieved of it's small block and given the full race treatment.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
We really need pictures of this thing :D

·
13,698 Posts
Not sure he owns it yet. He says pictures this coming week.

B.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

B.

B.

B.
Bob,
Yes I own and have the car. I have attached a few pics, hope they come out.
After going through the car I have found the following:
Interior and exterior pristine, underside very good not pristine.
Block numbers agree with: door tag, hidden front fender numbers, rear trunk lip numbers, cowl tag and dealer certa plate paperwork from dealer.
Dates for engine build (Oct. 7 1965), cowl tag assembly date ( Oct. 3rd week), transmission date (Oct. 4) all align with the vehicle delivery date of Nov. 3, 1965.
The item that does not work is the carb. Looks like its for a 66' corvette dated from 1970.
I also cant confirm the rear end numbers. Its supposed to be, according to the certa paperwork, a BQ (3.31 open August 30).
Overall I think the car is good.
Let me know if you see anything.
Thanks certa card info.JPG cowl tag.JPG engine.jpg IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0151.jpg inside fender.JPG trans.jpg trunk left.jpg trunk right.jpg

·
13,698 Posts
Great car, Steve. The rear axle decodes to an L79 3.31 open, same as my Canadian L79. The correct carb would be a List 3245, Part #3877413 and could be dated 3-4 months prior to your build date. My L79 was built November 26, 1965, and the carb was dated 3rd week of August.

If there is anything that jumps out at me that might be questionable, it's the cowl tag. At first glance, I thought reproduction. That's based on the sharpness of the stamping, even alignment of characters, and the font size. It might just be the angle of the picture, but it appears maybe one font size too small. There are some real cowl tag gurus on this site, so I will pass it over to them for an opinion. In any event, the cowl tag has no official status, but you might want to quiz the previous owner on it just for your own satisfaction.

All in all, a great car and one to be very proud of.

Bob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
that 66 would sure be one that would be hard to pass an not buy. looking at it you sure wouldn't guess is a 4 speed with an L-79.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great car, Steve. The rear axle decodes to an L79 3.31 open, same as my Canadian L79. The correct carb would be a List 3245, Part #3877413 and could be dated 3-4 months prior to your build date. My L79 was built November 26, 1965, and the carb was dated 3rd week of August.

If there is anything that jumps out at me that might be questionable, it's the cowl tag. At first glance, I thought reproduction. That's based on the sharpness of the stamping, even alignment of characters, and the font size. It might just be the angle of the picture, but it appears maybe one font size too small. There are some real cowl tag gurus on this site, so I will pass it over to them for an opinion. In any event, the cowl tag has no official status, but you might want to quiz the previous owner on it just for your own satisfaction.

Bob

Bob
Bob,
Yes I had concerns about the sharpness of the characters on the cowl tag. The engine bay has been painted. But I guess because of the condition elsewhere on the car, I thought it acceptable. Also, after looking for 15 years it looked like it scored better than past cars when it came to condition, price, originality and documentation. Just hope that time won’t show that I got screwed.
Original paint on the roof, trunk hood and splatter paint in the trunk.My seller got the car with 24k miles on it ( as shown on the title). He added another 9k over the next 12 years.
Also, I didn’t note in my earlier post, there were no resonators tucked up in the rear quarters.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts