Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys buying my first nova looking for any advice value wise and condition wise he says its a 350 5.7. Needs a paint job. Looks good from 15 ft. Inside good condition. Going to go take a second look anything specific to look for? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking for something original or restomod?
Restomod is fine for the meanwhile i will be putting money into it . Im barely going to start knowing about novas and engines first classic i buy. I was mostly curious if its a 350 he says it is aint pointers to find out if it is?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
as always ; go here for Good Nova info = all years .
write down your VIN # (that's the number looking thru u'r windshield ) , on top of your dash.
Then write down your "cowl tag numbers" (like - per line 1 line , 2nd line , ect).
SBC V-8 motor number - write that number down - (ps …. get a 'spiral notebook' ; when you get Nova info,
you can keep that info & numbers) .

NovaResource ….. ( drag u'r mouse over top header) .

and, WELCOME to SNS , glad to have you here …………………. jim

·
13,284 Posts
Thanks man . So vin should tell me which motor it is?
The VIN will tell you which motor came with the car when new, but not what might be in it now.
5th letter in the VIN is a 'H' it's a 2 barrel 350 V/8, if it's a 'K' it's a 4 barrel 350 V/8. To determine if the
engine is original you need the application code off the engine pad. It should also contain a partial VIN matching the dash plate.

Bob

·
Registered
544 Posts
My first nova was a '73. Can't tell from those pix if it's a 350 or 327 or what - either way would be fine in my opinion (if the price is right). Definitely take all that pepboys crap out from under the hood, though and replace it with stock/quality brands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to SNS Omar

I just looked at the pictures you provided. It appears that the oil dipstick is on the passenger side of the engine and I think I can see center bolt valve covers, that would mean its an L07 engine. These were first manufactured in 1986 i believe. Be careful because there were 305's and 350's, you will not be able to tell from looking at it if its a 350 or 305. Base engines came with horrible heads from the factory. If you are lucky it could have the vortec heads on it which are a decent set of heads for the street. You can tell vortecs by the intake manifold bolt pattern. There are no bolts in the middle on the intake near the carb. No matter what it is you can always replace it or rebuild later on.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Welcome to the site..!

I’m going to go out on a limb and state that the engine is most likely not original to the car.. The only way to determine what it exactly is will be to get the casting number and the engine identification numbers.. When you have those numbers you can look them up online and determine what it is. This should leave you with no doubt what you’re looking at. 350 and 305’s are probably the most likely small blocks to find in most older vehicles but there are at least 10 different small block displacement variants that would be possible to come across although less plentiful and less likely.. The only way to know for sure is to get the numbers..

Check out the site I have linked here It will show where to look for the numbers and then you can look up the numbers on this site as well.. I’ve used this site many times for years to ID engines an associated parts.. it’s a great resource as well as the Novasourse website..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to SNS Omar

I just looked at the pictures you provided. It appears that the oil dipstick is on the passenger side of the engine and I think I can see center bolt valve covers, that would mean its an L07 engine. These were first manufactured in 1986 i believe. Be careful because there were 305's and 350's, you will not be able to tell from looking at it if its a 350 or 305. Base engines came with horrible heads from the factory. If you are lucky it could have the vortec heads on it which are a decent set of heads for the street. You can tell vortecs by the intake manifold bolt pattern. There are no bolts in the middle on the intake near the carb. No matter what it is you can always replace it or rebuild later on.
Good advice, I bought a Nova with an early 350. Turned out it had 305 heads on it. It’s actually a strong little motor. But knowing it had the 305 heads was literally depressing so I barely drove it. I slowly upgraded the transmission, put in a 12 bolt last summer and just picked up a Blueprint 427 small block. That’s a nice looking car you are thinking of buying but do a little research like the guys above suggested and see if it’s what you want, then make an offer. Good luck and if you don’t feel it, move on, there are lots of nice Novas out there for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts