Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in search of a 67-70 Nova. What are a few things I need to watch out for when im looking? I dont want to spend over $4,500 for one because I want to buy it and restore it myself. How much today does it cost to completely restore one?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That's sort of an odd spread of Nova years Gman. 68-72 are nearly identical. Same with the 66 and 67.

Cost to restore? Depends on a LOT.

Rust / replacement panel needs?

NOS parts or reproduction?

Engine work?

How much work are YOU capable of doing?

I'll give you an idea. I recently spent $8K in parts alone on my Nova which wasn't in real bad shape. Minor rust, paint, vinyl top and upholstery, NO engine work (except for replacing high failure items like water pump, carb, starter and alternator), no rear or trans work, but a complete suspension rebuild. 0 labor costs cause' I did it myself.

If you pick a 3rd Gen 68-74, try and stay away from the 68's due to a lot of one of a kind parts, UNLESS the car is complete already. 73-74's..less expensive to get, but the aftermarket parts are not as available.

AND WELCOME ABOARD TOO! :)

Hey, Charlotte Auto Fair this weekend. Walk around, kick some tires, check prices, and talk to your fellow Nova nuts. ;)
http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33056

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that. I dont know a lot about Nova's. Chevelle's are too expensive, especially on ebay. What is the best year model to buy? I just want a project I can work on a couple of years and afterwards have a nice, fast ride.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Personal taste and bank roll size Bo! :D

The years mentioned are probably the most sought after and prevalent (if that helps).

What more can I say.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
gman697 said:
What is the best year model to buy?QUOTE]
Chevrolet made the Nova for 17 years, so, that question will get you 17 different answers!!! All the years have pluses and minuses. Check out different cars and decide on the year, or generation that appeals to you the most. In my opinion, working on a car that you think is ugly will not be as rewarding as working on one that really has the style you like.

Randy (we don't count the Toy-let Nova years!);)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
72GreenRally said:
Randy (we don't count the Toy-let Nova years!);)
What! That is nova descrimination! I am taking my Carolla, I mean nova and going home :p

He is right, just a personal matter of taste. I like the first, second and fourth gens alot, but my favorite is the third gens. I really like the 68-72 style the most, but the 73-74's have really grown on me alot.

I personally think the forth gens are very under rated! They can be made to look real nice, they come with disc brakes, can easily fit a big block in, just no real help from the aftermarket.

third gens have really grown in popularity, they have pretty good suspentions and if it did not come with disc brakes, they are easy to add, they also can fit big block in easily and the aftermarket is now putting out alot for them.

second gens, very sharp lines, a merge between classic lines and muscle car lines, have been popular for quite a while, alot of owners tend to put aftermarket front subframes (clips) on and can get pricey, you can fit a big block in, but not as easy.
first gens, nice classic lines, can be great cruisers in stock form, can mod and make great street machines, can be great drag cars. Alot of these owners tend to put front clips on to for street-drag machines and also can be costly, can fit big blocks like second gens. aftermarket is not too bad either like the second gens.

All a matter of personal taste.

bill (I'll take one of each please ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I'd go '69-'74....Parts are plentiful and the few '73-'74 only parts out there are finally starting to get reproduced. Basically, buy what you like and can afford, and enjoy it. It's like trying to buy another guy clothes...Everybody has an opinion and there's really no wrong answer!

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts