Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing the heater core on my '74 Nova (no A/C), and thought, as long as I have it apart, I'd replace the blower motor, even though the original is working OK. Most of the national chain parts stores do not distinguish between with vs. without A/C, and sell you a one-size-fits-all unit that I think is too big and powerful for my original application. For example, the VDO PM102 has a 3.25" diameter motor, and draws about 2.6 A, whereas my original GM/Delco 5044 motor is 2.5" dia., 1.3 A. I'm concerned that, since series resistors are used for speed control, putting in the 2.6 A motor will cause the resistors to overheat and burn out. Any links to an exact replacement, or advice, would be greatly appreciated. (Am I over-thinking this?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ovrdrive, for the ideas, but I had already found those. All those blowers appear to be designed to work in cars with A/C (as they do not distinguish with or without A/C), and are more powerful than my original. As this post shows, when the car has A/C, a relay is used because of the higher current draw of the blower motor, presumably to stay within the rating of the control switch. Also, the power dissipation in the series resistors will be greater.

I'm wondering if this unit from Ground Up might be a better fit electrically, except that the connector is different than my original.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If you think that will work in your senario and the connection is wrong, no problem. What you could do is to swap out connector ends on the pig tails. It's simple to do. You slide a very long and narrow straight slot screw driver into the connector ( there should be a slot for this on all factory GM connectors ) and flaten out the lock tab on the top part of the brass terminal end. Once it's depressed and flat, just gently pull out the wire from the connector and put it into the new one. Just ensure you do one wire at a time so you don't get any wires crossed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts