Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 74 nova looking for a radiator what core sizes you guys running looking at some Ron Davis radiators and griffin radiators

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I am using a Summit Universal fit aluminum radiator.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380331/overview/

If you are specifically asking about "core size", the one I am using is 26.25" Wide x 18" Tall with a core thickness of 2.25" (two 1" tubes) .... but the "overall size" is 30.875" Wide x 19.625 Tall and 3.125" thick.

I am probably using a bigger radiator size than most and it might be a little overkill (I also had to do a little bit of modification work to install this radiator), but I always felt that "bigger is better" when it comes to cooling.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m upgrading my 72 to a big block and it was suggested to me by members here to use a 73-74 Nova rad. My original small block rad is a 2 row 17x20 core. The 73-74 rads are 3 row 17x23 core.

I’ve bought an OER reproduction rad (CRD1013S) that sits in my rad cradle using the outer driver side mounting point. I found an upper rad bracket and shroud from a 73 Ventura that top it off as factory. Haven’t got it installed yet but test fit is perfect.

I’m not a big fan of aluminium rads. There’s one in my Beaumont that struggles to keep it cool. Had the same motor in my Nova with the factory rad and never had a worry with temperature control. Same temp gauge in both cars.

·
Supporting Vendor
23 Posts
I’m upgrading my 72 to a big block and it was suggested to me by members here to use a 73-74 Nova rad. My original small block rad is a 2 row 17x20 core. The 73-74 rads are 3 row 17x23 core.

I’ve bought an OER reproduction rad (CRD1013S) that sits in my rad cradle using the outer driver side mounting point. I found an upper rad bracket and shroud from a 73 Ventura that top it off as factory. Haven’t got it installed yet but test fit is perfect.

I’m not a big fan of aluminium rads. There’s one in my Beaumont that struggles to keep it cool. Had the same motor in my Nova with the factory rad and never had a worry with temperature control. Same temp gauge in both cars.
Coppers are no slouch by any means. Especially 3 or 4 rows.
Do you know what aluminum radiator was in your Beaumont? There is such a wide variety of aluminum radiators of all varying sizes and quality.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Coppers are no slouch by any means. Especially 3 or 4 rows.
Do you know what aluminum radiator was in your Beaumont? There is such a wide variety of aluminum radiators of all varying sizes and quality.
My experience with aluminium rads is limited to the one that came in my Beaumont. Not really fair to knock them all based on that. I don’t know the brand or age of it but it appears to mount as the original unit. The primary reason I bought the OER unit was for original fit and finish. There doesn’t seem to be an aluminium unit out there that mounts the same way. Not that I could find anyway.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I’m upgrading my 72 to a big block and it was suggested to me by members here to use a 73-74 Nova rad. The 73-74 rads are 3 row 17x23 core.
Mike, Please keep us posted on how the 3 row / 73-74 radiator works for you with keeping the big block cool.

I originally had a 3 row / 73-74 radiator in my 74 Nova, and it struggled a little to keep my "slightly modified" sbc 350 cool while cruising on hot days (using the original 19 1/2" clutch fan and fan shroud & a replacement GM radiator in excellent condition).
Please keep in mind, that was a long time ago and I did not know as much about ignition timing curves and carburetor jetting... and how these items effected engine efficiencies. I believe over half the problems I experienced with my car were due to lack of knowledge during my youth :confused:

I still have the 3 row / 73-74 radiator sitting in my garage, and it would be nice to know that it could work as a back-up to my aluminum 2 row radiator that is currently in my car.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Just for the record, the 17" x 23" core was originally used in 73-74 Novas with the "heavy duty" cooling option (which was included with air conditioning).

73-74 Novas without AC or the HD cooling option used the 17" x 20" core (same size as earlier small block & 6-cyl 3rd gens).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just for the record, the 17" x 23" core was originally used in 73-74 Novas with the "heavy duty" cooling option (which was included with air conditioning).

73-74 Novas without AC or the HD cooling option used the 17" x 20" core (same size as earlier small block & 6-cyl 3rd gens).
I stand corrected. Some of the 73-74 are 3 row 17x23 core.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts