Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Vert. In the rear I have an 8.5 with a Richardson Posi and 737 gears. I like the gearing - but. Being a vert it is automatically louder inside. After these gears got installed I found they are VERY loud, even when the gear lash was checked a second time. I was wondering (gets me in trouble every time) if I can deaden the rear gear noise inside the car if I put some kind of sound damper inside the trunk over the differential and up the trunk side of the metal plate behind the rear seat.

Anyone tried this? Did it help?

Craig

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when I changed the rear end. Finally had to get a bigger amp for my stereo to drown out the gear noise. :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
May just be you got a noisy gearset that no matter how they are shimmed they will never be quiet....been a lot of complaints like that over the last few years with almost all gear manufacturing moved offshore.

If you want a gear with a high chance of being quiet, look for AAM gears (American Axle ) since they supply OEM the 8.5/8.6 gears to GM and have much better quality control still in place.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I parted out a 1983 BMW 320i several years ago and noticed that it had a ton of sound deadening in the floors and behind the rear seat. I saved the thick sound deadening behind the seat and cut it to shape and used it behind the seat of my '63. I used Be Quiet sound dampener in the floors as well. It's much quieter than it used to be, but not new car quiet. I would guess you could visit your local salvage yard and find a luxury vehicle and pull the insulation from it to use in your car. To me, the biggest bang for the buck was sticking the sound deadener to the roof above the headliner. I notice on sunny days (it helps that the car is white), my '08 Ram headliner will be hot, but the Nova is cooler.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks drm, I had not thought about that. Will try finding some at a yard. I don't think adding it to the roof of my convertible will be a good match though. I'll stick to the metal divider between the back seat and the trunk and the floor over the rear axle. (y)

·
4,534 Posts
Richmond gears are known to have noise. For quite gears look for the higher end aftermarket gears. AAM (oem), US Gear, Motive Premium, Sierra (midwest gear) are all good and quiet as I install lots of these in GM 8.5/8.6" diffs. I'm also assuming you meant 3.73 gears which was stock on GM 1500 series trucks and suvs so good used are not too hard to come by at a wrecking yard. Just look for the GT4 code in the glovebox on the sticker.

Miles

Miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts