Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are out there. Maybe it is too early and Im tired, but have not found a solid swap thread for inline to inline (194 to 250).

Going to test out my 250 and if it has decent compression Im tossing it in and thats the end of it! No rebuilding, no bearings, no this no that! :no: Slap it in and go!

Just looking for threads about guys who have done this in the past. As far as I can tell, its a straight swap, with everything? I already have a rear sump pan on the 194, CBR rack kit installed, PG trans, PS, stock everything else. All I have heard is watch for the mounts?

Pretty much this is what I am wondering, and going to swap this weekend if that is possible:yes:

Again, I know the threads are out there, just looking for some links:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the new 250 block has the threaded boss for the clutch linkage...If I ever found a good 4 speed to toss back there Id go for it! And when I say good...I mean cheap and durable...:yes: Ahhh Ive always wanted a 4 speed in that car...or just a manual trans!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
for a sixer car a T5 is a really good tranny. and rather cheap too... you can pick up pretty much everything out of a Camaro. only expensive part is the scattershield (adapts the T5 to fit correct in our cars) cost is a lil'under $400 i think. then pick up the linkage and go for it.

it's cool bein' Shifty :yes:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me and you are going to have to sit down one day and drink a bunch of those beers that you claim to not partaketh in:beer1::beer1:

:cool:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No faking necessary. You just place your unwanted beverages on my side of the table and I will be sure to properly dispose of them for you:turn: Wouldnt want you getting all shifty on me:bored:

HEY! Since your here, and you always have the cool tech documents, I am also looking for a chart or guide to explain to me the different usage of connectors and plugs that GM used for our old cars.

Looking for a sheet with pictures hopefully and part numbers, or something that I would be able to identify all the different plugs on a harness. Right now that crap just confuses me like a dog trying to figure out why he cant catch his tail:confused:

Got any ideas where to find diagrams, or connectors with pin locations or any of that jazz?:poke:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the wiring schematic shows a caveman style of image i guess. it won't show images but angle/placement so to speak. if you become familiar with the ends/connectors on an old harness the images will be self-explanatory

as far as the terminals go, back again to looking at the old harness. i'm sure i can dig up a link for electrical terminals but there are 10 zillion of companies and all if you browse long enough should offer the terminals needed. with the proper tool the terminals can be removed from the connectors. they will all have some sort of locking tab that secures them in the connector.

if you use the tool and slide the terminal out of the connector and the connection is good, wire is good etc and it's just corrosion you can detail/clean the terminal OUT of the connector and then reclip it...

i'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to wiring etc, everything i learned was from looking and looking and looking at the schematic over & over again and then the same thing with the harness etc. once you break it down into systems it will all become clear(er)

don't jump in, take your time and just look at it, study it for a while...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yes thats exactly what I am doing! I have been gawking at this diagram all day! I have a good understanding of it...but want it to be crystal clear! I am chin deep in websites and pdf's and files looking into all this electrical. The more I learn, the more I learn I have much more to learn:rolleyes:

Im going to try to isolate each connector on a diagram, write it down and look up the individual switch for that part...If I cant find what I need, guess Im going to have to make what I need:devil:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
use colored pencils, identify each wire on the schematic, note color and trace it with appropriate color. there are also sources for a color schematic but for the most part i don't think it's needed.

even though all the lines on the schematic criss-cross each other and they're all shown together, each system is separate. print out numerous copies of the schematic, isolate just the ignition switch, as an example, color only those wires on the schematic. you'll see that each system really isn't that elaborate and you'll also find that GM's color coding and wiring hasn't changed in 50 years...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts