Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cam and head combination would some of you run in this 421?
This is strictly a street car build. It does not have to spin into the outer orbit.
Factory 400 block 10.1:1 compression range. with 64 chambers.
I was thinking of heads in the 210-220 cc range. And lift under .60 on the cam.
I know this thing is going to want air and I don't want to choke it.

So it sounds like I want torque from 2500 - 6000:yes:

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Don

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would sugest the dart pro1 210 heads and a hyd roller for the fact that its going to be on the street more than the track im asuming. Something around 230-240 @ .50 on your duration and if its going to be n/a keep the ls 110 or tighter for more tourqe. That should give you a good mid range power.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have to agree with josh. I wouldn't go any bigger than 220's unless you got something planned in near future. The bigger heads require the use of offset lifters and rockers and the cost goes up. Hydraulic rollers are nice but finicky IMO. I'm not a fan of Comp Cams but I like this Comp XR288HR in a 406 I tuned in chevelle works really good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing planned for the future this is my 55 chevy family car. Take the grand kids for ice cream cones, you know:devil:....

I don't want anything bigger than 220 for the exact reason you mentioned
6nova4 about the offset rockers. I will leave some top end power on the table but this is not a race car.

There is a non radical 415 engine in the book "How to build big small block motors" that makes over 500 Lb/Ft up to 4900 rpms with Motown iron 220 heads. That is kinda what I'm after.

This 421 should have no trouble making 500lb/500hp almost to 6000rpms with the right combination.

Thanks for the recommendations guys I appreciate it. I am gathering parts at this stage so I am not rushed in making a decision.

Don

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51423/10002/-1

PLUS

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/60132/10002/-1

And

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/72400/10002/-1

Might as well

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20515/10002/-1

:yes:

That cam is in this car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGx2syDo8lM

A lot of people are afraid of solid cams. With a stud girdle there is no need to be afraid of them on the street. Maybe once a year go through and check the valve lash. Thats all there is to it. Those jegs heads are rebranded Canfield heads and are very good. That combo above will make your car scream and be street friendly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tubbed63 Thanks for the links.
Mechanical roller cams are all I ever run in my toys. I never owned a hot rod with a hydraulic set up.

I love solid rollers and the power gain they make. The one in my deuce hasn't been touched for three years. I may go through an adjustment routine this summer. Simply because It will make me feel better.

I was going to build this 421 a little different this time but now you got me rethinking.
Canfield makes some good heads. That is one I added to my list.
That cam sounded nasty!!! Nice nasty!!!:yes:

Don

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Tubbed63 Thanks for the links.
Mechanical roller cams are all I ever run in my toys. I never owned a hot rod with a hydraulic set up.

I love solid rollers and the power gain they make. The one in my deuce hasn't been touched for three years. I may go through an adjustment routine this summer. Simply because It will make me feel better.

I was going to build this 421 a little different this time but now you got me rethinking.
Canfield makes some good heads. That is one I added to my list.
That cam sounded nasty!!! Nice nasty!!!:yes:

Don

Your welcome! I think a combo like that would absolutely get up and go!

EDIT: Just noticed your in Gettysburg PA? You are only 45 to 50 minutes from me down here in montgomery county MD.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea the canfields are good heads too. Only reason I mentioned the offset rockers is when you get into the bigger heads the intake valve is moved over to accomidate a larger valve and sometimes the standard stud mounted rocker will not hit the valve dead center. I have a set of AFR 220's on my friends 406 and even though AFR says you can use standard rockers if you look at the intakes they are not dead center. They tell ya to move the guide plates around to help center the rocker but its not enough. Some of the rockers ride on half the roller tip. BUT it works. I just threw that out there if you're doing this on a budget. I think 210cc's will be fine.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That lunati sounds pretty mellow IMO...Good don't get me wrong. I've used small hyd flat tappet cams that sound like that. That Comp XR288HR is a hyd roller and it sounds pretty damn meaty. I was surprised it sounds like its got a big radical solid cam.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Canfield's from Jeg's that Tubbed63 linked say they do not need offset rockers. It states the pushrods are near stock lication. I guess that can be done with 2.10 intake valves.

Hey Tubbed63 Yea... We are only about an hour apart.
You are not the one there in MD somewhere that has a bunch of engine parts for sale on Lancaster/York craigslist are you?

Thanks for the input appreciate it.
Don

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You might also check out the Pro-Filer 210's.:yes: They and the Canfield's are about the same price.

If it's truly a "Street car" I'd recommend looking at the Voodoo solid flat tappets. Then as long as you run the proper oil there's no worries about lifters coming apart and destroying the rest of your engine.:no: Something like the Lunati#60142
249 / 257
.540” / .560”
110 / 106
2800-7000

That RPM range will come down a bit because of the added stroke of your engine and should put it right where you want it.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would tend to agree the voodoo cams IMO would be a better fit. The only reason I mentioned the comp hyd roller is I've tuned 2 cars now with that cam and Im surprised at how they sound and run. Again Im not pushing comp cams, not my favorite its just alot of people use them. I would hit up John(camgrinder) on here or contact Harold Berkshire, he is the creator of the voodoo cam line he was the man who designed Ultradyne cams.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The Canfield's from Jeg's that Tubbed63 linked say they do not need offset rockers. It states the pushrods are near stock lication. I guess that can be done with 2.10 intake valves.

Hey Tubbed63 Yea... We are only about an hour apart.
You are not the one there in MD somewhere that has a bunch of engine parts for sale on Lancaster/York craigslist are you?

Thanks for the input appreciate it.
Don

Nah thats not me. Do you ever go to any of the cruises around here? There is a big one every other week at Jimmy cone in mount airy. There is one up in hagerstown also that I hear is supposed to be pretty big.

Here is our Lunati VooDoo 60104 hydraulic flat tappet cam.

http://vimeo.com/4681741

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run an Isky RR615 solid roller (260/268°@.050--.615/.617") in my 410" small block--just under 12-1 comp, old AFR 210's ported by Dr.J's--it made 615 h.p. at 6900, and has at least 500 ft. lbs from 3900-6300 rpm. The cam is a circle track piece that is very easy on the valvetrain.

Here is a video of the engine de-tuned to run in Dale's Dart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeRH8BgtWI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts