Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I will start with my problem.
After driving for about 1/2 hour my rear brakes start to drag. They are drums, everything is new and the self adjusters are on the right sides. If I let the car sit for a few hours the brakes do not drag until about another half hour of driving. The brakes are not adjusted to far out. Because the first time it happened I brought them in a little. Then when the second time it happened I adjusted them in a hole lot.
Now what I think is happening is that the exhaust is heating the rear brake line causing the fluid to expand.
The line is tight on the inside of the frame by the muffler and there is about a two and a half inch gap, between the two. Where the pipe bends over the axle and the line goes from the frame to the bracket, in the center. There is about a two inch gap.
Questions:
Is there something else I should be looking at or am I looking in the right direction. Do you think wrapping the line with exhaust wrap will help. I thought of putting the wrap on the pipe and that would be ok. But wrapping the muffler seems a little odd to me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
270 Posts
brakes

First thing I would do is make sure the adjusters are free working never sieze the **** out of them, next change the brake cylinders on old cars they seize, flush the brake fluid.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would make sure that the pedal to master cylinder rod is returning completely. It should have an 1/8" or so free travel. If not, it will not let the spool valve return completely which will cause it to slowly build up pressure in the brake circuit causing the brakes to drag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah man, check your pedal rod.. Sometimes something stupid like the rubber boot on the firewall will get wedged in the master cylinder and cause your brakes to put on a smoke show after 10 miles or so... Fun drive home...:eek:

Doubt temperature from the exhaust is your problem, brake fluid is usually good to 400 degrees f or so!:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gents
Like I said every thing in the brake system is new. I will double check the rod play and return. Thanks Once Again.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
One thing for sure

On this site if you ask for an opinion, you are going to get a bunch. X2 on the brake fluid expanding and causing a problem. If there were to be some expansion, it should back into the reservoir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts