Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there friends from far north im from so california and wanted to see if any of you could help me with something i wanted to do i have a first gen nova and wanted to change it into a pontiac acadian so with that said what would be involved thanks
jim nelson

·
Registered
309 Posts
I knew somebody would post that link as soon as i read"wanted to change it into a pontiac acadian" and I'm guilty too, but for me it was what I was originally told they were,and it has stuck, my sisters husband is from canada and he hasn't ever corrected me but he isn't a car guy

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Question and Comment

Question:
Why butcher an original SS Nova into a clone, be it Acadian or other? :eek:

Comment:
We forgive you for the Pontiac thing. Even Pontiac didn't know what was going on. :devil: :D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just wanted to know if it could be done im sure it could wanted to know if it was worth the effort to change my nova into an acadian thanks guys i ll look around for parts for the future im still deciding if i want to do it :yes:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
chevyII's and acadians went down the same line in oshawa. same fisher body. its nice to see the flip side, lots of people have tried to make their later acadian look like novas and beaumonts look like chevelles.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
do i need to modify the rear for the lights or would it be a bolt on thing
The sheet metal is the same, it's just bolt on for the tail lights.

Oh, and what year are you talking about? I missed that if it's in here.

Is it the car in your signature?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Nova to Acadian, ya why not.

Just a couple comments, in 62 the Acadian Beaumonts did not have back up lights in the rear bumper, so you can slide on that.
In the 1st gen cars the tail lights would not be a bolt-in. In those years the tail lights were shaped different.
The gauge cluster bezel is different, I do believe the guages are interchangeable.
When Steve referred to "trim" that includes grille and front fender spears that were on the Acadian but not the Nova. All side trim is different, rear deck trim and hood trim. You also have the rear quarter emblems. By my count that is a minimum of 12-14 pieces depending on whether your cloning a 62 or 63. It is relatively easy to find a grille but good luck with the remaining pieces, they didn't hold up too well in the Canadian weather.
I bought my car because it is unique and has documentation. I enjoy owning a car that is different from the norm. But, even though I only know of one other complete 63 Acadian Beaumont Sport Deluxe, it doesn't seem to increase the value. In fact, I find many Chevy guys don't like the association with Pontiac (even though it doesn't say Pontiac on the car) and the Pontiac guys are turned off by the Chevy engine and Nova-like appearance.
Every time I show the car, I spend hours explaining the history to people who admit they had no clue prior to seeing my car. Then there are the other people who won't come quite close enough to speak directly to me but tell everyone else close enough to hear, "yea, that's a Canadian Nova".
A couple years ago, I had a guy ask me "what the hell is that?". I preceded to explain the heritage as I always do and he stood there listening intently for 5 min. When I finished, he turned, took two steps away from me and with his back turned he said, " I don't care it's still a f**k'n Nova".
What can I say, it takes all kinds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can speak only for the 66 67 Acadians as those are the years I'm most familiar with. It's one thing to go from a Nova to a base model Acadian Canso, it's another to upgrade to the next step being the Sport Deluxe trim level. I purchased my 67 Acadian Canso back in 05. Since that time I've been collecting all the parts bring it up to SD trim level. Parts are very very scarce. People often throw the word rare around losely these days. I can honestly say that all Acadians were produced in very limited amounts and original parts of any kind don't just appear everyday.

I'll tell you from experience that it takes alot of internet searching, chasing, phone calls, auctions, etc. to finally get the pieces together. I've also found for instance that it took 4 pairs of tail lights just to make one decent quality pair (pitting, cracked lens are common). Is it worth it? I wouldn't have sold my completed 66 hardtop Nova to buy the Canso if I didn't think it was. I would honestly try to source the most complete car as possible. Spend more money upfront but save yourself tons of time hunting for every last detail.

Here are some noteworthy differences between a Nova and an Acadian.

1. Front bumper - Acadian's have a hood release rod that passed through the front of the bumper.

2. Grills – Both 66 and 67 Acadian have a unique grill design, different in both years.

3. Turn Signals - Acadian 66 front turn signals were bumper mounted like the Nova, but they were clear, not amber like the nova. Acadian 67 turn signals are mounted in the grill similar to a GTO.

4. Hood spear - Acadians have a hood spear trim piece that mounts to the centre of the hood, approx. 12" long or so.

5. "Acadian" hood emblem - This Acadian emblem is mounted on the front edge of the hood on the driver’s side.

6. Gauge cluster - Acadian's have the Acadian "A" logo where a dash mounted clock would mount. Both 66 and 67 Acadian cluster bezzels were painted black, where 66 nova was grey then black in 67.

7. Horn Button - Acadians have their own unique horn button emblem depending on trim level.

8. Door panels - 66 Acadians hava a different door panel design than the Nova.

9. Door panel emblem - Acadian Canso's have a "Canso" door panel emblem, same shape as the Nova piece but different design.

10. Door locks – Acadian front doors have a unique circular lock knob. Not 100% sure if this was available on the Nova.

11. Front fenders – 66 Acadian used the same fenders and headlight bezels as a 66 Nova. 67 Acadian still retained the 66 fenders and bezels when the 67 Nova were a different style.

12. Floor mounted console - Acadians SD’s used the same console as the Nova SS except the Acadian console had no emblem, where the Nova’s had an SS emblem.

13. Fender Louvers - 66 Acadian SD’s have 9 louvers mounted near the front of the fenders. 67 Acadian SD’s have a different style louver and their mounted at the rear of the fender closer to the door.

14. Trunk trim – Both 66 and 67 have unique centre trunk badging depending on trim level. The Canso trim level added a chrome trim surround. Both 66 and 67 Acadian’s include a unique emblem on the top centre rear of the trunk lid also.

15. Rear bumber – Both 66 and 67 Acadian have the reverse lights mounted into the bumper.

16. Rear tail lights – Acadian have a unique tail light design. Both the top and bottom red lenses light together for brake and turn signals.

17. External badging – Different badging is available depending on trim level (Invader, Canso, Canso Sport Deluxe)

18. Radios – 66 and 67 radios include “Acadian” lettering on the radio face.

19. V8 emblems – Acadians have a unique V8 emblem mounted on the front fenders, not similar to the Nova, these simply say “V8”

20. Rocker trim. Both 66 and 67 Acadians SD’s use the same quarter panel rear rocker trim as to that of the 66 Nova SS, but the full length door rocker trim is the same as the 66 Nova non SS. 67 Acadian Canso’s have unique rocker trim that mounts directly below the lower door body line.

21. Wheel covers. Again depending on trim level, Acadians have unique wheel cover options.

I’m sure I’ve missed some items here. Please feel free to add to the list where you can. As you can see the list is quite extensive. In the end I’m happy to have stuck with my Acadian Canso since it’s different in a lot of ways. I find that all the trim additions as compared to the Nova were well designed and give the car a great look.

Hope all of this helps with anyone’s decision to convert a Nova to an Acadian (not to encouraging this) or even just in restoring one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One other item of note:

22. Upper body charcter line molding - 66 Acadian Canso's have unique trim that runs the entire length of the upper character line on the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
23. Seat belts - Lower trim level 66 Acadians have a unique seat belt bucket bucket trim cover. I believe it includes the letter "A"

·
Registered
8 Posts
leave it

Just an opinion....leave it alone. You don't want to pull these scarce Acadian parts from Canada.....eh? We need them here. People down there won't understand anyway. Don't do it, and we won't change Acadians into Nova's.....promise.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Pardon me do you have any grey poupon

Ive been slowly buying all the major pieces to make my '63 Chevy II 300 2 door sedan into an "Acadian" of sorts, im pretty much mix matching 62-64 acadian AND pontiac parts to build what I want.

I have a nice '64 grill, a handful of NOS acadian trim peices and badges, tail lights from a 62 etc etc. For me its cheaper than buying a car from canada, I paid 19 bucks for the driver quality grill, 40ish for a set of tail lights. I will have the trim restored and looking nice.
Im going to slap on some P O N T I A C badging on the car and I will call it a poncho. In fact ive paid alot less for the acadian parts than I typicaly do for equal quality Chevy II bits. I just think the cars are cool looking, and folks will probably be scratching their heads(and guess what else). So how does that saying go "Imitation is the best form of flattering"? Who cares if its correct or not, I dont. I dont think Ive heard anyone say they didnt like 1badnov's '65 and he's sporting a 65 Acadian grill on his Nova wagon.

So when you guys see some new pontiac pop up this year with mix matched years parts - dont spill your friggin Grey Poupon.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Ive been slowly buying all the major pieces to make my '63 Chevy II 300 2 door sedan into an "Acadian" of sorts, im pretty much mix matching 62-64 acadian AND pontiac parts to build what I want.

I have a nice '64 grill, a handful of NOS acadian trim peices and badges, tail lights from a 62 etc etc. For me its cheaper than buying a car from canada, I paid 19 bucks for the driver quality grill, 40ish for a set of tail lights. I will have the trim restored and looking nice.
Im going to slap on some P O N T I A C badging on the car and I will call it a poncho. In fact ive paid alot less for the acadian parts than I typicaly do for equal quality Chevy II bits. I just think the cars are cool looking, and folks will probably be scratching their heads(and guess what else). So how does that saying go "Imitation is the best form of flattering"? Who cares if its correct or not, I dont. I dont think Ive heard anyone say they didnt like 1badnov's '65 and he's sporting a 65 Acadian grill on his Nova wagon.

So when you guys see some new pontiac pop up this year with mix matched years parts - dont spill your friggin Grey Poupon.
No wonder you live in Nova Purgatory :devil:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No wonder you live in Nova Purgatory :devil:
Yup but who cares, honestly I will make you acadian guys proud even it will say pontiac or atleast untill I can get a good deal on some Acadian hood and trunk scripts. Oh and I just scored a '64 acadian dash cluster for 10 bucks + shipping. Thats 10 bucks US dollar so thats what like 7 bucks canadian cash? :devil::devil:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts